Tuesday 13 March 2012

Hemingway Is All Right!

Ham Ernestway (Cerebus #252, March 2000)
Art by Dave Sim & Gerhard

DAVE SIM:
(from 'Notes on Form & Void' in Cerebus #253, April 2000)
I have just tonight spoken with Eddie Campbell, the marvellous cartoonist and fellow self-publisher who has scored such a great success with the collected From Hell paperback. He told me that he has rated Going Home part one as one of the greatest comic-book stories of all time, which is a very nice thing for him to say and put it in print for everyone who reads his wonderful comic book, Bacchus, to see. However, he says that he is having second thoughts, having read the first instalment of Form & Void. "You leave Hemingway alone," warned Eddie speaking to me from his home in Australia, which is a country which is far away. "Hemingway is all right." ...Eddie told me that he can live with me being a misogynist, but he cannot abide the thought of my being a philistine.

No comments: