Tuesday 29 May 2012

Kickstarter: Cerebus Digital 6000

DAVE SIM:
EVERYone keeps telling me: KICKSTARTER! KICKSTARTER! KICKSTARTER! So, um, here I am as part of a event/partnership -- Cerebus Digital -- registered by John Scrudder in his home state of North Carolina. You GO, TARHEELS! Okay, so John tells me I just have to sign my name and personalize Cerebus esoterica a few thousand times and mail out a few hundred packages... (both of which I'm definitely up for since, fortunately, they don't require computer literacy -- I still use an electric typewriter, "escargot mail", a fax machine and landline telephone to communicate with the outside world, relying on outside help for anything Internet-based (my MacBook is only for typesetting and downloading photoreference: God Bless Google Images!!!). I have written instructions here from John telling me how to input this. I hope I'm doing this right)...

So: here's my pitch for the $6,000 that I'm trying to raise:

STEP ONE: CEREBUS DIGITAL HIGH SOCIETY
Continue to convert High Society into digital files by producing a High Society combination e-book, audio book / digital graphic novel / oral history / weekly serialization at (so far) iVerse, Diamond Digital and Comixology and hope revenues can help things along by the time I'm getting paid early next year (The "Hail Mary" Pass Scenario).

STEP TWO: CEREBUS DIGITAL 6000
If more than $6,000 is raised (this is where I suspect John is pulling my leg: MORE than $6,000???) then the money would be put aside to do e-books / audio books / digital graphic novels / oral history / weekly serializations of ALL OF THE CEREBUS BOOKS, beginning with Cerebus (500 pages), Church & State Vol 1 (600 pages), Church & State Vol 2 (600 pages), and Jaka's Story (500 pages).


JOHN SCRUDDER:
The  primary objective of this Kickstarter project is to introduce Cerebus to a new generation of comic book fans by turning the World's Longest Graphic Novel into the World's Longest Audio Book with (fingers crossed) the creation of digital versions of every page of each issue of Cerebus. Every digital issue will include front covers, editorials, essays, letters and back covers and be made available as a $0.99 digital download (If this project succeeds!). In addition to digital versions of the individual comic books, Dave Sim is also providing additional audio and video content, including:
  • Sim performing all of the hundreds of Cerebus characters' dialogue as well as text and captions from the storyline for every issue.
  • Sim will also provide audio-visual commentary for every issue, looking back and providing his reflections and a look at all of the relevant documents in the chronological Cerebus Archive.
  • In addition, Dave Sim will also be shooting and narrating footage of his rough sketches and drawings (and translating cryptic entries) from his notebooks, as well as providing a never-before-seen "tour" close-up of the original art still in the Cerebus Archive (190 pages of the 500 page High Society as an example) issue-by-issue.
Full details of Dave Sim's project to raise $6,000 by 30 June 2012 can be found at Kickstarter.

No comments: