Monday 7 May 2012

Woody Allen

Konigsberg (Cerebus #280, July 2002)
Art by Dave Sim & Gerhard
DAVE SIM:
(from the notes to Latter Days, November 2003)
...So I just started designing the story largely as an exercise in damage control. How funny could I make it in those parts that wouldn't be taken up with the Torah commentaries? Suddenly my choice to use Woody Allen seemed more than just a structural convenience. In a lot of ways, I was mirroring what most people would see as his career suicide. A guy with a successful career in making wacky comedies suddenly goes serious on everyone and decides he's going to become an auteur. Had God known this as well? I have to admit that I was one of those people who thought that Woody Allen abandoning his "earlier funny ones" for Stardust Memories and Interiors was interchangeably "gutsy" and "insane" ("gutsy" when I liked the result and "insane" when I didn't).

No comments: