Wednesday 9 October 2013

All Time Favourite: Stray Toasters

Stray Toasters (1988)
by Bill Sienkiewicz
DAVE SIM:
(from 100 Internet Tour at MillarWorld, February 2008)
...I'd have to go with Bill Sienkiewicz's STRAY TOASTERS. You can read the whole thing or you can read any three or four pages and get full value for your reading/viewing investment of time. I like his and Frank's ELEKTRA ASSASSIN, too, but mostly as the precursor to STRAY TOASTERS...

(from The Blog & Mail, August 2007)
...Am I the only person who loved this book? It was a little hard to follow in spots but I think Bill did a heck of a job on the lunatic interior landscape(s) he was shooting for. Everyone in the book from the psychiatrist on out is severely dysfunctional. Depending on how you look at it, that's either wonderful comedy or wonderful tragedy. But I did - and do - think it was wonderful...

(from 100 Internet Tour at Comic Book Resources, Febuary 2008)
...when I brought up Bill Sienkiewicz's STRAY TOASTERS at lunch the one time and you'd think I'd shot somebody's dog from the way Seth, Chester and Joe reacted. I reread STRAY TOASTERS at least once a year. It's confusing as heck but, for me it has some amazing moments...but then I like the illustration schools represented in there and what Bill is trying to do (or what I think Bill is trying to do). The use of flat colour in the lettering and the caption boxes which puts everything on TOP of the actual art. That's pretty breathtaking for me as an artist who is known as an innovative letterer. I take my hat off to anybody who can introduce a whole new way of doing work. Dave McKean came out of that. Thematically the SANDMAN covers are Sienkiewicz. Even if it's not your cup of tea, it's nothing to act as if liking it is the same as shooting someone's dog. GASOLINE ALLEY has very, very little to offer me, but I would never call it s--t.

Stray Toasters was originally a four-issue mini-series created, written and illustrated by Bill Sienkiewicz, and published by the Marvel Comics' imprint Epic Comics in 1988. The story revolves around criminal psychologist Egon Rustemagik and his investigation of a serial killer that seems to be targeting women. Out of print since its initial publication, Stray Toasters was finally reprinted by Image Comics in 2008. You can find out more about Stray Toasters at Comics Bulletin, A.V. Club, Pop Matters, Page 45 and BillSienkiewicz.com.

1 comment:

Lee Thacker said...

One of the greatest 'comic books' ever in my opinion. I bought the original series when it was first released (confusing as heck on the first read, but that artwork... amazing!)I got the hardcover Graphitti Designs signed hardcover when it was finally released and remains one of my prized possessions (along with their Watchmen and From Hell editions).