Thursday 3 April 2014

Ch-Ch-Changes

Many thanks to everyone who takes the time to visit this site. As you can see by the Web-Stats counter over to the right, we are headed to the 'half-a-million page-views' mark in the next week or so. It's a naff, but temporary, fixture. I just couldn't let that milestone pass without some remark. Thank you all for your continued support.

Eagle-eyed viewers will note that the site banner has subtly changed. Gone is the "daily blog" promise. After living with that crushing daily deadline for nearly two-and-a-half years, something had to give. I will endeavour to keep this site ticking along on a regular basis, but you will have to forgive me if I don't make it here Every. Single. Day. As much as I enjoy putting AMOC together, I only have a finite amount of time to devote to it.

Communication with Dave Sim continues to be tricky (you may remember that his fax machine no longer receives inward bound messages, and my mild 'phone-phobia' prevents me from making coherent trans-Atlantic phone calls). However, I think Dave is planning to continue with his Weekly Updates every Friday, the only change being that he will be typing and posting the content directly into Blogger himself (rather than faxing over the content, me then grappling with the fax images and feeding them -- Page. By. Bloody. Page. -- into what proved to be fairly erratic 'Optical Character Recognition' software. The process was eating my life and my dyslexia wasn't catching all those typos -- proving once again that comic fans are illiterate). So be warned - if there is no update from Dave later today (Friday) you'll can bet that the Blogger software got the better of him!

Also, while I have your attention, let me make a quick plea. Please do submit any material you might have (thoughts, letters, sketches, commissions etc) that would make for an interesting blog post for other Cerebus fans to read... or why not submit your own 'Cerebus: In My Life' feature? All contributions are most gratefully received.

So, over to Dave... hopefully... Dave? Are you there...?!

Tim

10 comments:

Michael Grabowski said...

I applaud anyone willing to take the time to make a daily blog. Tim, your blog has renewed my appreciation for Cerebus and Dave Sim's work and has helped remind me to support SDOAR over the past many months. Any success Dave has in finally printing nice editions of his books will be due in large part to your hosting the conversation here. Thanks also for keeping Gerhard info available here. I will continue to enjoy what you manage to post here when you can.

Anonymous said...

Pft-shuh-wha?! COME BACK HERE AND ENTERTAIN ME ON A REGULAR BASIS!

In all seriousness, I have to mirror what Mike said above- this site helped to renew my interest in Cerebus, it gave me new perspective and information I wouldn't have had otherwise, and it certainly has been interesting learning about how frustrating getting one's work in print can be. You sir, have done more than your part as a fan, and I'll enjoy new updates whenever you n' Dave get around to em.

-Wes Smith

Birdsong said...

Thanks for the tremendous effort. Even keeping a weekly blog going can be challenging.

Sandeep Atwal said...

Ditto. Keep up the great work, much appreciated!

Travis Pelkie said...

Hey, thanks for all the work you've put in so far, Tim, and thanks for giving Dave somewhere to go online. I look forward to any future updates and thanks for providing a place for us Cerebus fans to congregate.

Tony Dunlop said...

(prolonged standing ovation)

Oliver said...

What you have done so far has been nothing short of tremendous. Wow has it been two-and-a-half years already? Incredible. Thank you so much for the joy of this blog so far -it's so great! And here's to million more page views!:)

Keith said...

Likewise to all of the above. Well done, and take a deserved break.

Eddie said...

By my reckoning, that was at least 850 (with a few breaks) of daily blog posts, probably closer to 900 if you factor all the other postings and work you helped out with (eg the HARDtalk tour, the Fantagraphics offer, etc).

Now THAT's impressive. Thank you for all the hard work on the site

A Moment Of Cerebus said...

Good lord! Just checked... 986 posts as of today.

I need to add a huge thank you to Dave Sim and Gerhard for supporting the site as they have. I probably would have given up long ago if not for their kind support. Thanks guys!