Tuesday 10 March 2015

Cerebus In My Life: Thomas Reale

Cerebus #151 (October 1991)
Art by Dave Sim & Gerhard
A Moment Of Cerebus:
How did you discover Cerebus and how long did you read it for?

Thomas Reale:
I discovered Cerebus when I was around 15 years old and a sophomore in high school.  I regularly visited Sarge's Comics in New London, CT, and a young worker remarked at my big stack of mostly superhero books that I read that I wasn't reading Cerebus.  In fact, he went on to rudely scold me that I only needed to read Cerebus. Period. Since I admired this older clerk, I immediately started collecting Cerebus. This was around 153/154. I read Cerebus until its end and ended up collecting 26-300 and #6 for the first appearance of Jaka.

How has your own creativity / comics reading been influenced by Cerebus?

Cerebus has influenced my creativity immensely. You can see several examples on my website, Dodd Thomas. I also have a bi-monthly book starting on 6/10/15.

What is your favourite scene or sequence from Cerebus?
 
My favorite scene is actually just the cover for issue 151 because it reminds me of the thesis tower at Reed College.

Would you recommend others to read Cerebus, and if so, why?
 
I would recommend others to read Cerebus for the riddle of man in case we genetically engineer a sphinx.
 
 

2 comments:

Max West said...

I have yet to make it past Church & State myself, but now I'm intrigued and may try the next volumes.

Tony Dunlop said...

Oh my goodness, yes. I'm not the only one who considers the next volume, Jaka's Story, to be Dave's undisputed masterpiece. Read it!