Saturday 29 December 2018

What I got for Christmas... that's Cerebus related. I mean I got socks too, but I'm not showing you them...

MERRY CHRISTMAS Everybody!

So, what Cerebus or Cerebus-related stuff did you guys get?

I got these:


My niece got me the Spider-Ham figure from Into the Spider-verse. As I said, he looks more like Porky Pig in a Spider-Man suit than Cerebus in a Spider-Man suit. If you press his left ear down his eyes change. Either "Classic Spider-Man eyes," "Cartoon Spider-Man eyes," or "Deadpool eyes."

And my good friend the Comic Book Man, got me Alec: The Years Have Pants by Eddie Campbell. Which I hope to read soon-ish.

Speaking of reading things:
IN 2019, A MOMENT OF CEREBUS INTERIM EDITOR, MATT DOW WILL EMBARK ON AN EPIC(ish) RE-READ OF THE ENTIRE CEREBUS SAGA. ALL 16 VOLUMES, AS MANY OF THE 300 ISSUES AS HE HAS (maybe.) EVERY ONE OF THE 6000+ PAGES (ya ever notice that Dave's wrong when he calls is a 6000 page Graphic Novel? Because the first 13 issues were 22 pages long instead of 20. That started when the book went monthly. Plus there's all the pages of the miscellany (which Matt is gonna read too...)). AND THEN HE'S GONNA FILL THE BLOG WITH HIS THOUGHTS AND NOTIONS AND THEORIES AND STUFF. IT'S GONNA BE GREAT!

Next Time: Dave talks about God and stuff, and then anonymous shows up and says we're all sycophants for not writing long comments where we disagree with Dave... happens every week now. Then on Monday: How I may have inadvertently ruined Jaka's Story for myself... possibly forever. 

6 comments:

Steve said...


Well, I guess I could count the signed Kickstarter Church and State #1 pledge as a gift to myself.

On the non-Cerebus front but still comics, picked up a great Usagi Yojimbo limited edition signed print from 2005 and purchased a nice collection of original art by Sergio Aragones.

And yeah, that "6000 pages" is off, but it's the easiest way to say 'really long'!

Steve

Jeff said...

Yes, Steve, I think we all agree that "Cerebus" was "really long". But when I tell friends, or acquaintances, or cute bartenders about how I'm "friends" (and, BTW, according to Dave, no one is friends with him) this guy who lives in Canada, who produced a comic book for 26 years, it's a pretty even number. Of the people who, um, give a shit. Fifty percent of the cute bartenders who have their interesteds piqued, and the other half who just walk away. Like Dave sorta says, it'll be, like, a hundred years, if that, before more than 20% give a shit.


Six-thousand pages (plus), 300 issues, promised around year two, and, delivered.

Best damn alternative comic book, ever.

Seriously. And that's not just me sayin' that.

But. To get back to the question at hand, yes, there were several early issues that had 22 pages of Dave Sim art and writing. SO.

All told, and I have thought about this for ... ten? ... fifteen? ... years, *maybe*,

Six-thounsand and 12 pages. Maybe. Maybe six-thousand and 24 pages. Maybe. I'm too frickin' laxy to do the research. Matt? Put the lovely girls to bed and do the research for me.

We enjoy these little investigations, don't we?

BTW, I could ask Dave, the next time he calls me, but that would be showing off.

Jeff said...

P.S.: "The Years Have Pants" is incredible!. And, years longer, I still haven't finished it, 7 or so years later.

BTW, a GREAT doorstop.

Anonymous said...

Wrong. What I do is point out the absurdity and stupidity in Dave's commentary and how it indicates that Dave is not right in the head. I've only berated the Cerebus fans for failing to recognize the stupidity and absurdity of Dave's commentaries once. But, I get it, it's a big part of your life and you want to pretend everything's fine. The denial is understandable. Wrongheaded, but understandable.

Seth Manhammer said...

Matt, I'll do the re-read with you! I wasn't around for 'em before, but dammit, I am now!

Tony Dunlop said...

Sorry, Matt; "Jaka's Story" can't be ruined. It's perfect. Hopefully the Dave Sim Sycophant Club can help you through this difficult time...