Saturday 27 July 2019

One of those "quick" posts that takes Matt four hours to write because he can't find that file he was looking for...


Hi, Everybody!

What Rigmarole do we got currently?
I'm giving away free @#$%! (And NOT "pulling a Hemingway" and rushing to get done "so I can go down to La Floridita and drink my body weight in margaritas" (metaphorically speaking) (And I'm pretty sure La Floridita was were Hemingway drank daiquiris, but I digress...)

Send pics of your @#$%ING Flimsy postcards From Hell? to momentofcerebus@gmail.com. Most bent to @#$% postcard wins a valuable prize from Dave Sim! (Is this still a thing?) 
Also, the EXPERTLY REMASTERED CHURCH AND STATE VOL II is available to order NOW (Diamond Order Code JUL191359) Submit your ideas for the bookplate contest.

And you should order a COLOUR YOUR OWN CEREBUS IN HELL? #1 Diamond Order Code AUG191433
 _____________________________________

Oh boy, is this gonna be a good one...

So, back in 2013, in the updates for the CEREBUS: High Society - Special Audio/Visual Digital Edition Kickstarter, Dave wrote:
Making slow progress on THE STRANGE DEATH OF ALEX RAYMOND No.2. I've got the cover, inside front cover and page one done and page two half-pencilled. It's coming out pretty good. I'd be a little further along, but I'm also digging up more "cover stuff" for the IDW CEREBUS COVERS books. Just today, going through the entire 40-year "81/2 by 11 and smaller" file drawers (six of them) for anything related to the covers. And this morning, thinking to myself, "Wait a minute. What about my THAT HELLISH LAST YEAR OF CEREBUS pile?" Which is on the top shelf in my office. I remember thinking, "This deserves to be a book on its own: THAT HELLISH LAST YEAR OF CEREBUS." Well, I'm over that now. Too many hellish years since CEREBUS ended to make all the rest of them feel deprived by devoting a book to only one of them. You know, 2007 saying "What am I? Chopped liver?" The thing is, though, it's only when I'm finally sitting down and working on an ALEX RAYMOND page that I think of these things. But I'm pretty sure I'm coming to the bottom of the CEREBUS COVERS book(s) problem(s). Actually I'm hoping I'm already there. We'll see. The next thing will be waiting for Scott Dunbier to send me the updated spread sheet of what covers we have covered and what covers we don't have, uh, covered. And then tackle THAT problem. Okay, how many are we missing and how difficult will it be to do recreations of them? I even thought of doing FUN things, like maybe acting out a missing cover with sock puppets or getting Matt Feazell to do one as stick figures. Um, okay. You're right. Forget fun. What was I thinking?
Well, back in 2013 when the Earth was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth, I read that, and thought: "Gee, I'm not Matt Feazell, but I am A Matt..."

So I decided to do a Cerebus cover. In my own..."special" style.

Unfortunately, the only covers I KNEW that Dave was missing, were the Wolveroach ones (Cerebus #s 54, 55, and 56.)
Yeah, them.

which Dave had already recreated:



So groovy...
But, because I had this KILLER idea for the cover to Iguana VS Beer #1 that I could "rip off" for a Cerebus Cover Recreation, I did it anyway:


Then I made some copies and colored one:

The copyright bit always makes me chuckle: "IGUANA and BEER ©2013 MATT DOW, THE Wolverine ©2013 Marvel Comics, but since this is A wolverine, they can't do squat!"
And then made copies of that.

Then I sent the original and the original hand colored copy up to Dave with some other stuff and a letter: 
Which I can't find a copy off... 
 And got a reply from Dave:


Wow. A lot to unpack here:

1st paragraph: Dave had sent me a package with the Off-White House address, and I had said that it felt like knowing the location of the Batcave. And I swore to never reveal it.

2nd paragraph: I was wondering what my "credit" would be for page 9 of glamourpuss #25 if glamourpuss/zootanapuss were ever collected. (I think my credit should be plotter and co-scripter.)

3rd paragraph: I had sent Dave my second copy of Mad's Star Wars Spectacular from 1999 when Episode 1 had come out. It had three(?) Mort Drucker parodies, and I know Dave was a sucker for Mort Drucker.

4th paragraph: Blair and Mike Kitchen had done a jam of Possum and Spyguy with Iguana and Beer. I sent Dave a copy.

5th paragraph: The REASON why I'm posting the letter. I think I was gonna try and sell prints of my cover... Anybody wants one, send a message to momentofcerebus@gmail.com and let me know. (They come in two sizes, 11" by 17" and 8 and a 1/2" by 11". Also,colored or not (It's okay for me to say "colored", my cousins are black...).) I'll have to figure out costs and shipping and stuff.

6th paragraph: This is part of a long running Strange Death of Alex Raymond research joke Dave and I had.

Okay, this has been WAY too long to even remotely be considered "quick".

Next Time: Dave sent me an e-mail...

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Okay. "COMPLETE HISTORY OF DAVE SIM".

I'd better get started. Woof. Fifteen volumes? Plus, you know, the last one? Woof!

Chapter One: I was born.

Jeff said...

Oh, and the address of The Off-Whie House is ... wait for it ...

You know, just wait for a Fed-Ex package from Dave. And, then, Bob's yer uncle.

In the meantime, I can tell you that it is frustratingly difficult to get to off of the main highway. Been there, done that; literally.

I can also tell you that he doesn't reside on King Street or Queen's Court, or even the various Prince Streets. Hope that helps.

(Sorry, Dave.)