Friday 21 February 2020

Lee Thacker: "Tales From The Wedding Present" (Dave's Weekly Update #327)

Hi, Everybody!

Heeeeeere's

Great new logo, right? Thanks Sean!



You can get your own copies here.

So Lee, how about it? Does The Wedding Present have anything to do with this:
Canadian minds wanna know...

And. It. Is. ON:

VARK WARS: WALT'S EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

I wrote that...
Of course Diamond cut off some of the solicitation. Here's the whole bit:
VARK WARS: WALT'S EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Writers: Dave Sim, Matt Dow, Benjamin Hobbs, David Birdsong, Sean Robinson, Eddie Khanna, and a partridge in a pear tree
Artists: Gustave Dore, Dave Sim, David Birdsong, Benjamin Hobbs, and Sean Robinson
Cover Artists: Gustave Dore, Dave Sim, David Birdsong, Benjamin Hobbs, and Sean Robinson

THE VARK WARS SAGA CONTINUES!
Last time, our merry band decided to parody a beloved film franchise currently owned by a monolithic media corporation, what was the worst that could happen? And now, WALT'S EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!

Witness DANTE'S ennui when BATVARK steals his chick! See the denizens of the Infernal Realms get "Disney-fied"! Stand agast as CEREBUS learns the ways of the Farts from the Ancient Master: No-Duh! Scramble in Terror as you learn what THE UNBEDDABLE VARK is doing with all those severed hands! Gasp in shock as you discover which beloved CEREBUS IN HELL? character has fallen to the Dark Side and become DARTH [REDACTED]!

VARK WARS: WALT'S EMPIRE STRIKES BACK! YOU'LL LAUGH, YOU'LL CRY, YOU'LL KISS 4 BUCKS GOODBYE!

REMEMBER: THE FARTS WILL BE WITH YOU.... ALWAYS.
I don't have the promo strip, YET!
I do now:
Click to see it BIG!


I also don't have the video, YET! (But my bits are @#$%ING EPIC!)

Next Time: I'll be pimping Vark Wars: Walt's Empire Strikes Back. Oh....and talking about Cerebus. But, mostly pimping Vark Wars: Walt's Empire Strikes Back....

3 comments:

Lee Thacker said...

Well, I wasn't expecting that! I figured Dave would feature the comics at some point during the year (he always does and I really appreciate it) but wasn't prepared for a 'comic book metaphysics' question. I've emailed David Gedge with the question and I'll post his answer here when I get it (if there is one). I do know the band were on a UK tour during this time - I went to see them play on March 1st 1987.

Lee Thacker said...

David’s response:
‘Yeah, looks like we were on tour. I suspect this was in support of the release of the My Favourite Dress single which was our first charting single on 21/02/87.
19/02 Leeds, UK – Stallone’s
21/02 Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, UK – University
22/02 Glasgow, UK – Rooftops
23/02 Edinburgh, UK – Onion Cellar
25/02 Reading, UK – Majestic
26/02 Bristol, UK – Tropic Club
28/02 London, UK – Hammersmith Clarendon
01/03 Birmingham, UK – Barrel Organ
Maybe the most significant thing, TFTWP-wise, is that you saw us in Birmingham at that point?!
I didn’t keep a diary in 1987, so I think this is the best I can do!’

Lee Thacker said...

My final comment on the subject...

After an internet search (‘Leeds rape cases February – March 1987')I found the following from the Yorkshire Evening Post: Monday, 20th May 2019. David Gedge lived in Leeds at the time of the earlier crimes but would have been completely unaware of them...

Headline: A man has been jailed for 21 years for rape and indecent assault offences dating back more than three decades.

'Peter Battensby, now aged 63, appeared for sentence at Leeds Crown Court this morning after being found guilty of 14 offences at trial earlier this month. The offences for which he was found guilty - eight counts of indecent assault, four counts of rape, one of voyeurism and one of sexual assault - dated back to February 1987. Some of the indecent assaults were committed against girls who were aged 12 and 15 at the time. Prosecutor Matthew Bean told the court how Battensby took one victim to a remote location where he attempted to rape her, but she managed to fight him off.

The court heard that when one of the girls was aged 13 or 14, he took her to a nightclub, bought her alcohol and took her to get a tattoo. Mr Bean also read out personal statements in court from the victims. One said: "He ruined my life, destroyed my childhood and I did not want a boyfriend or relationship as I had been labelled as damaged goods." Another said: "It is difficult to put into words the emotional damage this has caused over the years and continues to cause to this day. I lived in fear and felt humiliated, worthless and degraded. My confidence and self-esteem has been destroyed."

Handing Battensby a jail term totalling 21 years, Judge Rodney Jameson, QC, said: "Over the course of some 30 years you have blighted the lives of so very many people. It is obvious from the victim impact statements that the circumstances in which they were committed has proved devastating and lifelong. You have said that each of these brave women who gave evidence were liars and fantasists. You have shown no shred of remorse, in fact, the reverse."