Saturday 11 April 2020

AMOC remembers Mort Drucker

Hi, Everybody!

ATTRACTIVE COUSINS #1 IS NOW AVAILABLE TO ORDER FROM DIAMOND!

ALSO VARK WARS: WALT'S EMPIRE STRIKES BACK #1 IS STILL AVAILABLE TO ORDER!

And here's yer free CiH? More soon?
_________________________________

As I said yesterday, Mort Drucker has passed away.

The late, Great, Mr. Drucker, aside from being one of, if not THE greatest caricaturists ever, has his DNA all over Cerebus. Here's Dave on Mr. Drucker from Following Cerebus #1:
Uh, the right hand column. Thanks to Brian West for helping me find this page.
And from Following Cerebus #3:
Again, thanks to Brian West for helping me find this.
And from Latter Days:
From the Notes on Latter Days: "There was a guy at Sparkle City Comics years ago who used to do ads in the Buyer's Guide with cartoon sheep, in a kind of quick-Sergio-Aragonés-style, so that was what I pictured in my head as being the "look" of this story as I was coming to the end of Form & Void. I stuck with that for the "crowd" scenes nd the littlest sheep but, once I had had a good look at what sheep actually look like, I used my more illustrative Mort Drucker caricature style as well, which I hadn't pictured doing." Dave Sim 
Also, Latter Days:
I could literally post page after page after page of pages from Latter Days.
One of my favorite parodies from Mad Magazine, is the Return of the Jedi one Mr. Drucker did:








I don't know ho much of the "incidentals" were in the script, and how much Mr. Drucker just put in there, but I love all the "May the ______ be with you"s.

Next Time: Oliver!

1 comment:

Dave Kopperman said...

Luke's line about 3PO being his twin brother actually is pretty close to the mark, in retrospect.