Wednesday 22 July 2020

A Poet in the Family


Benjamin Hobbs:

Back in January, Matt Dow sent an email filled to the brim with new CIH? covers.  One of them was this:


David Birdsong made a rough and sent it to Dave:
Dave sent this back:
David made the changes and began coloring:

"Barvark" is a Batvark like-a-look who spends his nights in bars.  He's not in THIS issue.  We should probably fix that typo.

He asked if I'd finish the colors. In the process, I added a hand and some new dialogue:


And...there's still some color variation needed in the background.

Next Week: How many people DOES it take to make a CIH? cover?  

4 comments:

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Okay,

This one needs a BIT of explanation, I wrote the joke as Batvark's SISTER, because that's funny. Virgil marries Batvark's sister, and Batvark can't stand the idea of his sister sleeping with Virgil. Hilarity ensues.

What I DIDN'T KNOW, was that Batvark's cousin BatvarkGirl gets introduced in Attractive Cousins #1, and that she (apparently) wants to bang Batvark (I haven't gotten my copies of Attractive Cousins #1 from my LCS, so I'm just going by what I was told when this cover was getting kicked around.) , so they changed it to her. Which is an entirely different joke.

I mean MY gag was that Batvark couldn't go out because he was a nervous wreck over the idea of his sister getting banged like a screen door in a hurricane. Dave's gag is that Batvark wouldn't go out because he's spying on his cousin getting banged like a screen door in a hurricane.

I wonder if we can get a 1 900 number set up so fans can vote on the ending...

Manly Matt Dow

Larry Wooten said...

Well, I voted on the other one back in '89. Sure. I'm game.

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

"A bit of explanation"? Well, I guess nobody's reading these but the True Front-Facing Believers by this point, and that seems to be how Dave wants it. Dave is basically Jim Davis on this strip now, huh?

-- D.

Jeff said...

"You can't always get what you wah-ant, but if you try sometimes,..."

Trust me; I know.