Monday 17 August 2020

Aardvark Comment: Adam Beechen

Hi, Everybody!

Get your surveys in for the Kickstarter for Dave and Carson Grubaugh's You Don't Know Jack, please.

The Strange Death of Alex Raymond: Fundraising Edition copies are printed, signed, and are being prepared for shipping so, you can expect your copies soon-ish. Eddie's Apartment:


If you missed the Waverly Press Kickstarter for the Remastered Cerebus #1, limited overflow of the rewards are available at cerebusoverload.com. New update:
The next Cerebus card just came in from the printer which is a promo card for The Regency Edition book. For those keeping track it's card number 8 in the ongoing series of Cerebus trading cards.
Starting today every order that comes in on Cerebus Overload gets one included with their order free of charge.


Cerebus masks and whatnots with all the money going to Dave. Until the end of the month, there's also "Cerebus in Hell? 4 Sell". With all the profits going to Aardvark-Vanaheim. (How that's different is a mystery...)

Speaking of Cerebus in Hell? Word on the Street is that tomorrow is the Final Order Cutoff for: Vault of Cerebus! And The "Censored for Grandma" variant: Batvark XXXXX (Okay, I heard that from Brian West on the Tweeters. But that's like a street, right?)
At the end of the month The Amicable Spider-Vark should be in stores.

Speaking of which, A Moment of Cerebus is facilitating Aardvark/Vanaheim's auctioning of a signed copy of the mis-stapled The Amicable Spider-Vark #1. As soon as I get pictures, I'll show you what it looks like, but it's signed by Dave five times with a silver sharpie that was dying, and some of them are smeared. It's a "Sandeep Atwall 1 of 5". Bidding is at $20 American dollars (plus shipping) to Margaret Liss.
Signed copies of Vark Wars: Walt's Empire Strikes Back (Signed by Dave, Signed by Dave and me, Signed by me after I scribble out Dave's name, Pretty much available Signed only...)
___________________________

Time for some:
Mail there, or just Fax: 519 576 0955. Or email me at momentofcerebus@gmail.com and I'll take care of it.

ADAM BEECHEN­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­                                                                              
Los Angeles, CA
August 13, 2020 

Hi Dave:

I feel like I should be asking, “How was your summer?” But I’d guess your answer would be pretty much the same as mine: “A lot like my spring.” Your reasons for saying so might be different than mine, but I’d bet the language might be similar.

Not a ton has happened in my little slice of this side of the world… We’ve been back to Phoenix again since last I wrote, just trying to monitor the situations there as concerns family, and we’re going back again over our Labor Day holiday. I can’t believe I’ll have gone to Phoenix – voluntarily – three times in one summer. It wasn’t so long ago I was swearing I wouldn’t visit Arizona between March and October… but circumstances have changed and it is what it is.

Currently, I’m writing episodes of two different pre-school cartoons, and I’m “script editing” another animated series. I’m still not quite sure how I ended up with the gig… I think I was under the impression it was going to be a more creative position than it is, which is to say, not creative at all. I copy-edit the script, I format the script and I look for places to make the script shorter – simplifying action paragraphs or combining them, trimming the odd word that runs over onto another precious line of text, and so on. I’m grateful for the employment and grateful to the friend who suggested me for it, but it’s not a job I’ve ever done before, so it’s been a little nerve-wracking. One good side-benefit: I’ve become aware of many more things my screenwriting program can do than I’d ever utilized before.

Additionally, I’ve been pitching a sports-related animated series with a pal, developing an animated series with a different production company, and waiting to hear about a possible Story Editor gig… In other words, there’s been lots of unpaid activity on the work front, too.

There may even be a new chapter in the “HENCH Goes to Hollywood” saga that I can fill you in on in the near future.

But to get back to the last letter I received from you, thanks for clarifying what you meant in suggesting a HENCH Script Collection Kickstarter. I think Kickstarter in general is a great idea, along with GoFundMe and other similar sites. I’ve contributed to several over the years, and it’s always been a positive experience. It’s been suggested to me a bunch of times for projects I’ve thought about, but I’ve never actually taken the plunge. I’m not sure why – It’s an emotional thing, I guess. I’m sure it’s kept me from pursuing some opportunities and kept some ideas I’ve had from seeing the light of day, so it’s something I should probably try to get over.

Ultimately, though, I just don’t think there’s enough interest out there to make a HENCH Script Collection Kickstarter a viable project for me to pursue. Maybe if HENCH starts gathering steam as a Hollywood project in some form or fashion, that interest level would go up a notch, but at the moment… No. HENCH is an old book (it came out from AiT/Planetlar in 2004) that didn’t make much of a splash in the first place, and I’ve never developed enough of a following (that I’m aware of) in comics or animation for my name to be a spark that would drive someone to pick up a book. Your point of there being no overhead to the venture is well-taken… but I think if I was going to put work in on getting more printed material out there, I’d just as soon spend the energy on creating new IP. I hope to make that happen soon.

I honestly can’t recall if our 2004 conversation about CEREBUS as an animated property included discussion about Oliver’s film. My memory of it was that we talked about it in a more mainstream sense – the viability of and process of presenting CEREBUS to studios or networks. I could be wrong, though.

I think I understand the point you were making about organized religion, and the differences between Scripture-based and ideology-based faith. I’m not a particularly religious person to begin with – on the rare occasions I attend a religious service, I get more out of the sense of community than I do the rituals, specific prayers or interpretations of text. I get comfort out of knowing I have a shared cultural history with the other people in the room… that on some level we share a certain kind of self-identification, and since I believe that two of the functions of religion are to comfort and provide community, that’s enough for me. I can take or leave the rituals, prayers and stories as I please while having my own interpretation of what my religion is trying to tell me. And I have to say, no one has ever tried to force me to “fall in line” or feel any way other than the way I do. I don’t often talk about faith, but when I’ve wanted to do so with a peer or leader of my religious community, I feel like my views and interpretations have always been respected, if not agreed with. If anything, I’ve felt encouraged to think independently about what the religion encompasses and develop my own opinions about it – and to share those opinions in the interest of constructive dialogue that might benefit all participating parties. Regardless, no one’s ever tried to talk me out of what I believe, or told me I can’t be part of the community so long as I believe what I do. Maybe the religious community to which I feel I belong is unusually tolerant of varied opinions and perspectives. I don’t know.

Sorry I don’t have questions directly concerning CEREBUS this letter… I’m sure I’ll have some next time. ‘Til then, stay healthy and stay safe. 

 
Best,
Adam

 
Adam Beechen's Hench is available from Amazon.
(Which is were his website sends you.)
Dave Sim does all sorts of things that I TALK ABOUT ALL THE @#$%ING TIME!!!!!!!!!

Dave Responds:
Thanks Adam!

Thanks Dave!

And since there's not enough aardvark in this one:
I may have accidentally insulted Gene Day in a fax to Dave. Here's my apology: "EVERYBODY was KUNG-FU Fighting!"

Next Time: A return to the Aardvarkian Age!

5 comments:

Brian West said...

John Barry! Thanks, Matt. Now I have to watch that iteration of Hell.

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

I watched it a few months ago.

I don't understand who the target audience was...

Matt
(I own puzzles from this.,)

Brian West said...

My guess is Disney was chasing that Star Wars money and with that demographic literally in its infancy my guess is the Mouse was throwing whatever it had in the toolbox at the time, hoping that something would stick.

Byron said...

I bet an animated Cerebus NetFlix series would bring a lot of renewed interest to the property.

Dan E. said...

Will we find out what Dave's Groundwork for Future Non-Impoverishment is?