Thursday 17 September 2020

Twenty Years of CerebusFangirl.com

MARGARET LISS:

Unpaid intern for AMoC and the front room in my house filled of Cerebus, Dave Sim, and Gerhard memorabilia shows that yes, I'm the Cerebus Fangirl. 

I asked Matt if he could ask Dave if I could talk about what he sent me. And in Dave's words "if he sent it to me, I can post it to AMoC". So here we are.

Last week I got a comic sized bubble envelope in the mail from Ontario. Yes, Canada. I didn't remember ordering anything from eBay from Canada, and it wasn't from Dave, so I wasn't sure what to make of it. When I opened it, there was a copy of Cerebus #114, and a letter from Dave. The letter wasn't addressed to me though. . .it was addressed to Wilf, the now retired former corporate lawyer for Aardvark-Vanaheim. Down at the bottom Wilf had written a note to me:

Yeah, I did react some parts. . .

Yup, the CerebusFangirl.com domain has existed for 20 years as of 04 August 2020. The Cerebus Fangirl website existed before then - only a couple pages at first, but as it grew I knew I needed a domain name for it. And while I'm no longer a girl, as Dave says, CerebusFanWoman really doesn't have the same ring to it.

And that issue #114? It is from the Wilf Jenkins Collection. Well, no longer. Now it is in my collection. It is signed both by Dave and Wilf and has a WJC annotation on it:


The comic came bagged and boarded. I was going to toss out the board and put it in a new one as the board was slightly bent. But then I looked at the back of it:


And yup, there is the seal:

All embossed and fancy like.

Pretty cool.  Thanks Dave! Thanks Wilf!





7 comments:

Larry Wooten said...

What a thoughtful gift Dave.
Happy anniversary on your website. It certainly comes in handy.

Jeff said...

Damn! I gave away my signed (by D'avenGer's copy of 114 a year or so ago. Shouldn't have. Can I have your other 114? (And, btw, #s 1, 2, 3, and 14? You know, to complete the run?

Jeff said...

Gotta proofread these before I hit send. Ugh.

Oliver said...

Happy 20th Anniversary, CerebusFangirl.com!! Your site was an invaluable resource for CGI Artists on our film.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Margaret!

Your site is great, packed with information, easy to navigate and pleasant on the eyes.

Thanks for running it and sharing all that you have with us, including the notebook scans on this site!

Here's to your good health!

A Fake Name

Jeff said...

M? You wrote something nice about me several days ago. That was very considerate.

I respond by writing that you are one of the most pleasant Cerebus fans and hanging-out-with, and caring friends that I have ever known.

If I lived anywhere near that river, I would be there at least once a week. But, Ah'm still tryin' ta figger out which stream, er, river, er, *confluence*, that it is.

Large body of *water*, Ah mean.

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

Good for these guys for donating to the food bank.

-- Damian