Monday 30 November 2020

Strange Death Of Alex Raymond Update

Hi, Everybody!

Carson Grubaugh:
Hi all, now that the You Don't Know Jack campaign has come to a close Sean and I are making plans to bring you a "completed" version of The Strange Death of Alex Raymond.
The book will be re-named The Strange Death of "The Strange Death of Alex Raymond." It will include all two-hundred-fifty-seven pages of content from SDOAR V1 and V2, an additional twenty-one pages that were mocked-up by Dave for V3 before he quit working on the book, and another thirty-one pages created entirely by me that are intended to bring the reading experience to a narrative close.

Dave has requested the right to provide an intro and/or outro essay, which is a no-brainer "YES, PLEASE". I will probably write some commentary as well, and Sean is such a darned good essayist it would be a travesty if he didn't contribute, so I am guessing that the book will be up around three-hundred and fifty pages in total.

Here is one of Dave's V3 mock-ups, tweaked by myself to ready it for the next step.
 
A page of ready-to-ink mock-ups written and designed by myself, intended to bridge V2 and V3

And a mock-up from my post Dave's-V3-material conclusion.



The ending is entirely written and mocked-up. It was almost eerie how the final pages put themselves together, revealing meaning I wasn't consciously intending to embed in them.

The finished art is underway and I am refining the script as I go.

Sean is getting the information he needs regarding the production of the book as well as working on the design elements, like the cover.

We have agreed that the book will be hardcover, printed on the same paper as the restored Cerebus books, produced by Marquis, with sewn case-binding so the book can lay flat when open and the spreads won't get lost in the gutters.

Give us something like 6 months.

Best,
Carson
_____________________________________

Thanks Carson!

As a reward, have the $200 from David Birdsong for this:

Click for Bigger.
It's:
This was the painted cover I did for SDOAR V1, based on mock-ups by Dave. Four months of work that we both agreed was just too cluttered to serve as the actual cover. The work is a 20" x 16" oil painting on board. It already has a frame.

Highest bidder in the comments after one week gets the work. Buyer will pay shipping, and if desired, insurance. If no insurance is purchased any awful thing the USPS does to the work on the way is the buyers loss."
Congratulations David, and Carson!

And this stuff:
Cerebus in Hell?: order the new one: The Amazing Batvark Final Order Cut-off is December 27th. And, on Wednesday, the 25th, pick up Spider-Whore.

And if you haven't gotten your surveys in for the Spawn #10 Kickstarter, you really should, so I can get my stuff. Which will get printed once the second chance IndieGoGo ends on today (supposedly...).


The AMOC Cerebus Merch store: Check out the new Cerebus masks and whatnots.

And Dave's calling on Thursday, and Margaret has so many questions... But I'll squeeze you guys in if you got something...

Next Time: @#$& I gotta come up with something? 

11 comments:

Byron said...

Can you ask Sim how his wrist is for me and if he's able to draw regularly again? Is this new artwork in this post?

Birdsong said...

I feel like I’m stealing that painting but I’m happy to have it.

Michael R. said...

That’s AWESOME effin’ news, Carson!!!

Brian West said...

Covid Vaccines? CIH? TPBs? SDOAR out into the universe? Spring of 2021 is shaping up to look pretty good.

Jeff said...

Question for Dave: When you started mentally plotting out the course of Cerebus' life, did you envision that "in the end everybody dies", er, " no, in the end everybody is dead" (everybody being many major, influential characters), or was that more of a fluid plan as the series progressed? And, other than for structural expediency, why did Cerebus live so long when no one else did?

Brian West said...

666 backers total to close SPAWN #10. What are the odds?!

Dan E. said...

Here, here to everything Brian West said!
I'm really glad there will be more SDOAR.

crazyyears said...

SDOSDOAR. i LOVE IT.

Jeff said...

Brian? Well observed and clever. Kinda scary, too; if you're, whattayacallit, *into* that sort of thing.

Brian West said...

Thanks, Jeff.

The coincidence does interest me, but I can’t say that I find it scary myself. One of the best days of my life happened recently, on a rainy day the day that my work honored me for thirteen years of employment. So, I don’t know if bad numbers are a thing. I am not going to gain say anybody who thinks otherwise, but for me it’s not something I dwell too much on.

Tony Dunlop said...

Take as long as you need, guys - I'll buy it!