Wednesday 9 June 2021

The Prototype Spawn Lenticular Cover

Benjamin Hobbs:

Back in January of this year, The Waverly Press asked me to do some work on the Spawn Lenticular cover.  The idea was that Spawn and Cerebus would be walking across the snow in front of MARKET SQUARE. 

Ideally, the cover would have looked something like this:

However lenticular technology doesn't seem to be able to do smooth animation.  The prototype of this version of the lenticular cover (of which there were only 5 made) looked closer to this:

I just checked eBay, and Cerebus Overloads has one of the five up for auction:

And I have a copy of the actual lenticular book up to buy:

 
 
Next Week: Depending on the how the prototype auction goes? My copy might be up on eBay in attempt to pay for my wedding with one sale...

5 comments:

Tony Dunlop said...

Unless I miss my guess, we had the same technology back in the 70s; I remember these special baseball cards, which when you tilted them around it looked like the guy was swinging his bat. It sorta worked, sometimes.

Brian West said...

I can nearly vouch what you say, Tony. In the early 1980s I remember getting a lenticular toy of some sort with a kid’s meal my mom had me bought from a Wendy’s. My second exposure were the lenticular shields that came pacakaged as accessories for the SECRET WARS action figures sold during the mid 1980s.

Jeff said...

Tony, I think you may be referring to the baseball cards that came in boxes of Kelloggs cereals. They were very cool, but almost immediately deteriorated. They tended to warp and the lenticular would dry and crack. This was long before plastic card holders. Finding a pristine Kelloggs card today is rare and somewhat expensive. They ran for a few years and had some good, even great players.

Tony again said...

I bow before Seiler's 70s trivia memory.

Jeff said...

Well, of course you're not.

No offense. 😉