Monday 20 September 2021

The Strange Ballad of Cerebus' Nostrils... (Update on the Kickstarter Original Art Cards.)

Hi, Everybody!

________________________________

And I sent him a fax that said:
And, obviously, he remarked it and faxed it back...

Well, I couldn't just let a straight line like that just lie. So I faxed (and Dave remarked and faxed back):

I'm...I'm not posting what I sent, because I don't want any of them commie-pinko-anti-American-Bolshivik-no-gooniks to learn the L.O.A.S.S secrets. If you REALLY wanna see it, buy a Coronavirus comic from me, and include the "password" from the CAN9 Kickstarter that you learned from Please Hold For Dave Sim, and you're GUARANTEED to get one...

And Dave then faxed:

Which is a WHOLE lot better than what I was thinking:

So, once again I faxed Dave (and got a response. Just now!):

Anyway, here's the backs if anybody wants them:
__________________________________

Back to the Kickstarter cards:
_____________________
Cerebus in Hell?:
So this means The League Of Extraordinary Corona and Swords Of Cerebus In Hell? Volume 8 will be getting the final order cut-off soon.
______________________________
Get that sweet, sweet Gerhard art, Greg Hyland's Monster Atlas Volume 2 part 3. (Greg hit the four grand, so Gerhard is in the book. (Ends in 26 days.))
______________________________
Heritage, is gonna be auctioning off the original art to the Cerebus #2 covers (5 of them,) and the NEW Cerebus #1 (just 1 of them.) 
______________________________
And your friend and mine, Sean Michael Robinson has made an album
Would you believe I've never recorded an album as an adult under my own name?
https://seanmichaelrobinson.bandcamp.com/releases
Like most people, Rachel Erin Robinson and I had a tough year. And last summer, around late July, it got a lot tougher for me. I woke up in the middle of the night in immense pain, with both of my arms completely numb and unresponsive. It happened again two nights later, and shortly after that I found that my left hand and both shoulders were weak, so weak that I was unable to play the guitar at all. This led to many months of neurological evaluations and doctors visits etc, but in the meanwhile, I had very little physical strength in my left hand.
Weirdly enough, this was accompanied by the easiest, most painless songwriting I've ever experienced. Songs just came out of nowhere, all the time, and in a matter of four or five months I had written more than 25 songs from scratch, on a bewildering variety of topics.
This album, MISMENAGERIE, represents about half of those songs, chosen almost at randomly from the ones I was working on at the time. Rachel and I recorded them on Sunday mornings, her playing a lot of the piano, violin and vocal harmonies, and helping me with the arrangements, and me playing the bulk of the rest – drums, piano, flute, accordion, singing, and, when I finally started to recover from my mystery ailment, guitar and electric bass.
(It might be that I was just overjoyed to have recovered from my ailment, but this is also the most intense and wild guitar playing I've recorded in at least a decade, and it was pure pleasure to be able to use my hands again after months of recovery.)
I'm immensely proud of these songs and the album as a whole. I was also thrilled to be joined by fantastic musicians, many of whom are my good friends and all who I treasure deeply —
Birch Pereira (Gin Joints, Golden Tree Story) played scorching bass on several songs.
Mara Croissant-Lenders (Summer Januaries) lent her angelic voice and gritty viola to four tracks.
The legendary Rich Gilbert (Zulus, Frank Black and the Catholics) played incredible pedal steel on two songs.
Multiinstrumentalist and multi-decade friend Jonathan Spruance (Taiga) lent me his lovely voice, organ playing, electric bass and tasty percussion.
My good friend and hot shit guitar player Tim Franklin (Pillow Army) and I have a guitar duel on the penultimate track.
My good friend Alma Garcia De Lilla (Landlord's Daughter) sang the hell out of one particular track, The Boy Who Cried Love! A track which also features beyond funky bass by the incredible Ken Dow.
The release is live on Bandcamp now, and other platforms will follow over the next couple days. I'll share some of the individual songs soon. I hope you enjoy!
Edit: Apple Music live!
https://music.apple.com/us/album/mismenagerie/1586540064...

(Stolen off the FaceItBooks, because I couldn't remember how to share the link...) 

______________________________
Up to 35% off site-wide:
September 22 – 27
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!

Next Time: In Communist Russia, Dave Fax you!

3 comments:

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

Biggest laugh from Dave in a while! Dave decries, "A case of making scripture say what you want it to say instead of what it actually says." Pot, meet kettle!

-- Dame

Tony Dunlop said...

I don't suppose Sean's album is on vinyl...I don't do "e-music."

No, I didn't think so....but I'd buy one if it was!

Anonymous said...

Anytime I read about Dave's ailment I feel sympathy on his behalf. One of the greatest comic artist's of all time...it's just sad. Good thing he did complete Cerebus as planned. I still hope he'll heal up.

Sean-glad you're doing better and congrats on the album.

cheers,

A Fake Name