Monday 17 August 2015

Sand Hills Creek

Cerebus Vol 14: Form & Void
Art by Dave Sim & Gerhard
DAVE SIM:
(Cerebus Yahoo Group, May 2004)
I think Cerebus missed the point in a lot of ways about the nature of Sand Hills Creek (local mythology holds that Kitchener was once called Sand Hills, which Rych Mills, a local historian has pretty definitely disproved). The place I pictured was closer to the size of Gananoque than any incarnation of Kitchener I remember, but there are similarities: one being that people who leave tend to come back no matter how much they didn't like the place and couldn't wait to get out. That's always the side I knew. Someone would move away from Kitchener and then I'd see them back at Peter's Place a year later. The side I never thought of (always being on this side of it) was that there was never a big Hey, Welcome Home. Just a "I thought you moved to Vancouver?". So, what I'm saying is I think Cerebus was expecting more than he would've gotten even if he had come home before his father died. His father wouldn't have welcomed him back and neither would anyone else. There are Sand Hills people who stay and Sand Hills people who go. Cerebus went. It put him "out of tune" with Sand Hills Creek.

(via Cerebus Wiki)

1 comment:

CerebusTV said...

Guess we're more like Cerebus than Dave...