Tuesday 1 May 2012

Mick & Keef

Mick & Keef
Art by Dave Sim & Gerhard
DAVE SIM:
(from Note From The President, Cerebus #163, October 1992)
Having stupidly lost Ken Viola's phone number, I have been unable to badger him about the autographed Mick Jagger caricature. Just as I was sitting and staring at my legal pad wondering what to write next, Ken gives me a call! He talked to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and both agreed to autograph a Glimmer Twins caricature to be auctioned to benefit the Comic Book Legal Defence Fund (Jagger asked to see some literature on it, which we are falling all over ourselves to provide).  Looking at the comic books Jagger asked Ken "Does he make money doing this?" I laughed. The Ken mentioned that Keith took a very dim view of his portrayal (ice water floods my intestines), but once Ken had a chance to explain Cerebus a bit he took a more charitable view. Evidently everyone at  the Rolling Stone's office had been incredulous ("You're going to show this to Keith?! Are you crazy?") and Jagger as well ("You didn't show this to Keith, did you?"). It serves me right really. I'm still trying to live down a drug-crazed, drunken reputation from years back and I get very frustrated when people won't let go of that image or are disappointed when I turn out to be "too normal". Anyway, I'm starting on the piece tomorrow and we'll try to have it on the inside back cover before the end of the year. And I'm definitely bidding on it myself!

Oh and Ken asked me to correct the impression that he's still a roadie for the Stones. The last tour he did was 1981. He's now a roadie for the Grateful Dead and he informs me that he has managed to turn Jerry Garcia onto Cerebus. Bonus.

No comments: