Thursday 15 December 2011

Anything Goes!

Anything Goes! #3 (Fantagraphics Books, March 1986)
Art by Neal Adams

DAVE SIM:
(from the essay 'Neal Adams, Niagara Falls & Other Forces Of Nature' in Following Cerebus #9, August 2006)
It's no stretch to say that for the wannabe photorealism school comic-book creators of my generation, Continuity Associates - 9 E. 48th Street: I think I could forget my own address sooner than forget that one - was like the Kennedy White House and King Arthur's Round Table combined. To be one of the Crusty Bunkers, working elbow-to-elbow with THE Neal Adams, learning from the master and, under his patronage, gaining entree into Marvel and DC, being handed plum commercial assignments - fanboy dreams were made of this. Of course, that's how it was seen by those of us who hadn't a snowball's chance in hell of ever being part of it. (I'd drift off to sleep picturing Neal Adams at his drawing board peering at the cover of Quack No.3. "This guy. Get me this guy on the phone. I want him here and working by the end of the week").
Quack! #3 (Star Reach Productions, 1977)
Art by Dave Sim & Steve Leialoha

No comments: