Friday 23 March 2012

Recommended: The Man by Vaughn Bodé

The Man (1967)
Art by Vaughn Bodé

DAVE SIM:
(From an interview, The Comics Journal #184, February 1996)
...Vaughn Bodé's The Man, that was an enormous influence on me looking at however many pages that is, maybe 32. Just cover, copyright page, 32 pages of story, you're out of there. That's a really effecting piece of work. It's not complicated, anybody can follow it, every time you read it you can get something else out of it.

From an interview, The Comics Journal #83, August 1983)
Vaughn Bodé's The Man, the underground that he did, I consider it a definitive piece of comic book art. I still own it and wouldn't part with it for love or money.

Vaughn Bodé's The Man is reprinted in Schizophrenia available from Fantagraphics Books.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For what its worth I have this comic book. His son Marka nd I went to the same art school together in the 70's and he gave me a copy and I still have it today