Saturday 27 April 2024

Gerhard: So long and thanks for all the bricks!

Hi, Everybody!

So Gerhard posted on his blog:
And people have wondered if he means it. So I asked. And he answered:
Gerhard:
Re: Retirement...
Turned 65 and feelin' every inch of it.

I've had it with the Internet; websites, blogs, social media other things that are a total waste of my time.
We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

I'm looking forward to being 'retired' and keeping well away from the Dreaded Drawing-board of Doom. I can't sit for very long before my legs swell up (not good for drawing), can't stand for very long before my legs swell up (not good for drawing standing up), my doctor told me to lie down with my feet raised (not good for drawing in general), the government is gonna start sending me my Canada Pension and Old Age security (not enough to live on, but it helps), and I finally, and for the first time, caught up on and finished my commission list!

Seems like a good time to step back a bit.

I've had it with sittin' for endless hours at the drawing board struggling through work that I have no interest in doing if it weren't for the money (which is never enough) while my stomach acid erodes my esophagus and my legs swell up.

My favourite line from 'Beetlejuice':
"That is why I won't do two shows a night anymore, babe, I won't."


Also... it's been three years now since my best friend, Tim, died of cancer and another friend, has MSA (multiple system atrophy) similar to Parkinson’s disease but worse. She worked for many decades at the same job, her first full-time job after high school. She started to show symptoms a year or so before her retirement and is now pretty much bed-ridden.

I ain't dyin' at the drawing board, babe... I just won't do it.

Everybody seems to think that I'll never stop drawing but I get no joy out of it anymore and the doctor did tell me to put my feet up.

I'm not sayin' that I'm NEVER gonna draw again,

we'll see how it goes, and then we'll see.

So, mostly, it means I'm just gonna only do things that I REALLY want to do.

Like, for instance, going to OAX 2025!
(Florida is for retired people, right?)


I think I'll get a t-shirt made:

RETIRED GUY
give me my discount!

...and that's all I have to say about that.
-Ger
I mean, can you blame him. Anything he does after THIS is gonna be pretty anticlimactic:
Click for bigger.
Rigamarole:
__________________________
NEW Spawn 10 Lenticular covers from the The Waverly Press.
__________________________
The Strange Death of Alex Raymond Go Fund Me.
__________________________
Heritage has stuff. Including Narutobus page 11
__________________________
The AMOC TeePublic Shoppe: up to 35% off:

Your store will be up to 35% off
April 27-28.*
*Sale dates are not final and therefore subject to change.
___________________________
The Help Out Bill Messner-Loebs Go Fund Me, or buy Rodney Schroeter's book with proceeds going to Bill. 
___________________________
The Last Day Without nothing.
   "      "     "        "  Dave's signature.
   "      "     "        "  an Old Cerebus Remarque
   "      "     "     Auction catalog for the Panoramic Remarques
___________________________
Oliver' Simonsen's Cerebus movie: The Absurd, Surreal, Metaphysical, and Fractured Destiny of Cerebus the Aardvark it's currently available on "Plex", "Xumo", "Vimeo On Demand", "Tubi". If you're in Brazil..."Mometu", "Nuclear Home Video".
___________________________
Next Time: Dave answered the mail, and faxed me a dozen times about it. So Faxy goodness...

2 comments:

Michael Grabowski said...

Congrats to Gerhard, and best of rest to him in this next chapter. May his health get better with the drop in stress.

Margaret said...

I'm a bit sad that i won't be seeing as much new Ger art as we have in the past, but at the same time I'm more happy for you Ger - happy retirement! If I ever make it back up to Ontario, I'll buy you a beer. . .or two. Or more. :)