Friday 27 September 2013

The Return Of Elrod

Cerebus #6 (June/July 1978)
Art by Dave Sim

DAVE SIM: 
(From Swords Of Cerebus Vol 2, 1981)
This story [Cerebus #7] was another small step forward. Having managed to sustain two (count 'em two) plots in No. 6, I was ready for some experimenting... this time the development of a mistaken identity segment, timing it so that the overlapping action follows plausibly. It wasn't a new idea, but it is a lot more difficult to do on paper than it is to watch develop in a movie or on a television sitcom. This was still primarily an intimidating time period, as far as stretching my abilities. My tendency was towards this kind of trade-off in the writing stage - if I'm going to do a mistaken identity scene, which required thought for accurate pacing, I better put Elrod in this issue, since his dialogue and pacing were easy for me to work with...

No comments: