Wednesday 16 November 2016

Notebook 6: Cover Thumbnails

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

we last looked at Dave's notebook #6 in October 2015 in "Boys! Dinner!". It covers issues Cerebus #80 through 86 and had 118 out of 200 pages scanned. Though there were only 135 pages left in the notebook by the time it came to me to be scanned.

If you've gotten your copy of Cerebus Cover Art Treasury, then you've seen there are some scans of cover thumbnails from Dave's notebooks. Well, with only so many pages to work with they couldn't include all the thumbnails, so here are a couple from notebook #6.

A thumbnail for Cerebus #80:

Notebook 6, page 7
Cerebus #80 cover
A thumbnail for Cerebus #84:

 Notebook 6, page 57
Cerebus #84 cover

4 comments:

Travis Pelkie said...

Cool stuff.

Still waiting on my copy of the Cover book. As I've said before, apparently my comic shop guy didn't get an order in (unless it got cancelled at some point) at first. Now he got a copy, but it came damaged, so he's getting a replacement. Some day I'll get it and be able to review it!

Also, if you make the clicky on my name, you'll get to see a post of mine where I mentioned the new Kickstarter.

Unknown said...

Much obliged, Travis! There's a COVERS book out there somewhere with your name on it!

Unfortunately it's probably scratched into the book itself with a jackknife, but it's the thought that counts.

Travis Pelkie said...

Legitimate LOL there, Dave!

Unknown said...

Travis - We live but to serve.