Tuesday 29 November 2016

The Cerebus-Ending Crisis: Can We Keep Going? - Part 13

CEREBUS ARCHIVE NUMBER 6
A Portfolio of 10 Signed & Numbered Prints with Exclusive Commentary by Dave Sim
Raising Funds For The Restoration & Preservation Of The World's Longest Graphic Novel 


HI! DAVE SIM HERE! ANNOUNCING THAT KICKSTARTER CEREBUS ARCHIVE NUMBER 6 (CAN6) HAS LAUNCHED! CLICK HERE TO LINK TO IT! AND PLEASE JOIN ME HERE EVERY DAY AS I DISCUSS, WITH CEREBUS FANS, THE "CEREBUS-ENDING CRISIS" WE'VE BEEN IN SINCE JULY OF THIS YEAR:

CAN WE KEEP GOING? THE TMI ANSWER!
PART THIRTEEN OF FOURTEEN

More responses to the survey question "Do you have any suggestions for future Kickstarter campaigns?".
Thomas B West Monroe LA :
When done with the regular CEREBUS ARCHIVES, maybe an Archive with some of the CEREBUS JAM material and/or the "Young Cerebus" stuff from Epic Comics would be nice.
That's one of the problems with the CEREBUS ARCHIVE PORTFOLIO Project is that there's no "done" to it. It's going to take roughly three years -- IF we can hit five of them a year, which is a Big If -- to "cycle through" the trade paperbacks once: ten pages each. The smallest trades are 250 pages. I'll be long dead -- and so will you -- before we get even halfway through CEREBUS in toto.

It's a recurring conversation we have around here. Sandeep suggests interrupting the sequence at some point to do an "all-covers" CEREBUS ARCHIVE Portfolio. But, I don't think we want to do that. "Go for what you know". This is working and there's no way of telling if an "all-covers" Portfolio would work. And if it doesn't work, we might not get a chance to "switch back". WHICH covers? How many covers?

I like the format that we have because it means that I'm "getting somewhere" even if it's just ten pages at a time. "There. I'll never have to look at or talk about the first ten pages of JAKA'S STORY again!" That counts for a lot with me.

If I was going to experiment, it would be with THE STRANGE DEATH OF ALEX RAYMOND once I have Carson's bridging material and the first 20 pages are "carved in stone".

But (central point to this) we have no idea where "saturation" is for Dave Sim ARTIST'S EDITIONS Portfolios.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Al R Halfmoon NY :
Bonus Prints - Cerebus Statue - Phone Book Cover posters

Hi, Al! All these are covered earlier in this series. 1) Maybe later and probably just one 2) a vinyl figure is the only thing being work on and 3) not possible with the fixed size of the CEREBUS ARCHIVE Portfolio mailer.

Thanks for your input, though, and for being a "regular" here on AMOC.

Shaun P Hove UNITED KINGDOM:
cerebus plushies

James S Midland Park NJ:
The Cerebus Plush. :-D

This would really hinge on someone being enthusiastic enough to DO -- design, manufacture and ship -- plush toys because the CEREBUS market is so small, you'd really have to service the demand one at a time.

Way back when Sally Hitchens did the first one, I could see up close what a headache it was: non-stop stitching little ears and little arms and little legs and a white eyeball and eyes onto the thing.

It has a certain "nesting" quality to it that appeals to some women and that appealed to Sally -- making little, CUTE things for people. But, seriously: how many hours can you push a curved needle through thick faux fur before those cute little "arms" and "legs" become, self-evidently, just WAY TOO Labour-Intensive a repetitive action for what people are willing to pay and how CUTE the finished product is going to be starts slipping down your personal hit parade?

I mean, if you know anyone who is interested and they want to send me a CEREBUS plush and tell me what it would cost to make them, I'll be happy to see if I can make the numbers work. Probably by saying that Aardvark-Vanaheim will forego its royalty. But that definitely moves it out of Top priority because there's virtually no profit margin.

THANKS FOR JOINING US! MY DISCUSSION OF THE "CEREBUS- ENDING CRISIS" CONTINUES TOMORROW ON A MOMENT OF CEREBUS:


CAN WE KEEP GOING? THE TMI ANSWER!
CONCLUDES TOMORROW!

1 comment:

al roney said...

I posted this in the response section back in an earlier segment of TMI, but since Dave tackled my CAN comments in this segment, here it is again:

FWIW - I like, er love, the Bonus prints.

Many are great standalone pieces not available anywhere else.

Put it this way - I actually frame the bonus prints and hang them up in my "man cave" (along with my BWS prints, Frazetta stuff and a few rock (Beatles) prints) and they are rotated "in and out", or "off and on", on a regular basis.

The regular archive prints? I look at 'em while I'm reading Dave's commentary, carefully place them back in the envelop and then put them in my "Archives" plastic storage bin. And that's where they remain. If i want to look at a particular page again, I have the phonebooks on my shelf.

That said, I'll still be in for every CAN offering moving forward, but, to be perfectly honest, they just aren't as interesting, or enticing, to this Cerebus fan as they were when the BP's were part of the package.

...still pining for the first Cerebus phonebook cover to be made available as a print and/or downloadable file too.