Wednesday 28 June 2017

One Fondue Set Please

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

Dave Sim's notebook #16, used for Cerebus #122 - 125, has been showcased here four times in the past. The most recent time we saw some of the 67 pages scanned for this notebook was in November of 2016 in Soul and Substance.

Somehow the cover has never been shown here in one of those four entries. And I bet you'll be really surprised to find out that it is a Hilroy notebook:

Notebook #16, front cover
The next picture is the final page scanned in the notebook, page 68:

Notebook #16, page 68
First, if you're wondering, the page not scanned was page 7. Typically I didn't scan pages if it was blank. When would I'd scan a 'blank' page? When what was on the other side showed through to the blank side.

But I digress.

As you can see, page 68 shows the "Note From the President" for Cerebus #124. Or does it? I just looked at Cerebus #124 and this isn't the NFTP for that issue. Though I think I've seen this before, I just can't place it. Perhaps someone in the comments can tell us where it actually saw print, or perhaps if I just dreamt I had read it in Cerebus. . .

2 comments:

Tony Dunlop said...

Well this is just logical nonsense. "If you draw comic books for a living, you're not a man, you are a cartoonist."

Jp Pollard said...

Hahaha "...And if they can't make you a cartoonist, they will make you a letterer"