Saturday 17 November 2018

NEW FEATURE: Please Hold For Dave Sim

Hi, Everybody!

So on Monday, I got a call from a 519 Ontario, Canada phone number. And there's only one (maybe two) people I know in Ontario, Canada. So I said, "Hi Dave!"

And it was Dave.

We talked for about ten minutes (including how the wrist is (next week's update.) and what's up with Ethan Van Scriver and the ComicsGate, (I'll get to THAT on Tuesday...)). He had heard that Stan Lee had passed away, and wants to save using the hand for Strange Death of Alex Raymond, so instead of typing out things like his remembrance of Stan, he'll call me, and I'll record the conversation and post a video.

Which we did on Wednesday. And then I uploaded it to the Youtubes, and now I'm sharing it here.

The plan is to have a conversation once a month. So Please Hold for Dave Sim:



(I came up with the title.) (And the logo. It'll get changed every time.)

That's my wife at the beginning. Dave wants her (or my seven year old,) to do the intro.

I apologize for the crappy audio, and video. This is the first one, and we're still figuring out what the hell I'm doing (Dave just has to talk on the phone...) (So Dave's quiet, and I'm loud. I'm working on it...) I'm also gonna work on transcribing these so you can read it if that's how you prefer it. (Unless some future "AMOC Special Friend Of The Day" wants to take a crack at it...)

If you got a burning question, email me at momentofcerebus@gmail.com and I'll forward it up to Dave and he'll call me.

And Comicslink is here!

Here's the Kickstarter for the birthday card.

And if you wanna get in on the Vark Wars, I ain't gonna stop ya. All submissions to thevarkwars@gmail.com

Next Time: Sunday, Religious-post Day!

11 comments:

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Nifty.

I had figured that the alphabet was the reason for the aardvark.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Doesn’t matter much to me at what date they appear.

Question for Dave: is there a specific symbolism to skulls/demon heads in the cliff? I mean beyond “what evil lurks in the souls of men”.

Jeff said...

Matthew? I look forward to many more of these, so long as you stop throwing me under the bus. Please.

Margaret said...

Here is what Dave had to say about the heads on the tower:

"Question: What is the meaning of the faces on its tower and how did they get there?

DAVE: I always wondered about that myself. Again, one of those things lost to the ages. Trapped souls from some mystical war in the distant past? Sculptures? Sculptures inhabited by the souls of the dead? Picture the Ka’aba in the Grand Mosque in Mecca. We know that people have been circling the Ka’aba every Ramadan for, at the very least, two thousand years. If you believe Islamic history, they’ve been doing so since Adam first built it and since Abraham and Ishmael rebuilt it. It’s reasonably certain they’ve been doing so since Muhammad helped rebuild it in the seventh century. Now, what’s the idea behind it? Why do people circle the Ka’aba seven times? Do you think that someone said six to ten thousand years ago, “Hey, I’ve got an idea. Check this out.” Or do you think it goes much deeper and much higher up than that? My guess is the latter. That would be the same answer I would give to “the meaning of the faces on its tower”. I’m sure there is a very deep, deep meaning to it. But it goes back too far to even begin to speculate upon successfully.

The fact that I introduced the wall of faces way back in the early part of High Society has always interested me because I really didn’t have a story attached to them and no one even remarks on them until Prince Mick pages and pages later. Of course my suspicion now is always that anything that I can’t account for as coming out of my own imagination I always figure was a “plant” by God to try to “fish in YHWH,” something that I wasn’t remotely aware of in a conscious way, something that came from my being “tapped into” a reality that I was only vaguely aware of. Certainly the idea of rock having a personality which would be implied by all the faces, I imagine, would be very appealing to YHWH since that was supposed to be the Big, Shock Surprise Ending—it turns out that YHWH was Mother Earth all along! Gasp!

And the fact that this personality filled rocks which were in a cup-shaped, vaginal opening motif surrounding the Upper City like labia and then WHOOSH they would grow into this giant penis shape. Yeah, I can see how, conceptually, that would get YHWH a little runny between the legs."

And click here to see where that response is from.

Steve said...


As I posted a few days ago, I'm interested in the story behind Dave's work with Hot Wacks.

And does the Archive have the original art for those stories, the First Fifth portfolio, and the Six Deadly Sins portfolio.

Just a few things this inquiring mind wants to know ~

Steve

Margaret -- that link in your comment doesn't seem to want to click to anything...

Dave Kopperman said...

Great job, Matt (and obviously Dave). I'd recommend using Google Voice to record your conversation. It's very simple - free number (as with all Google services), and it records right on your Google account. It's been a couple of years since I used it, but I believe they've even got their transcription tools sorted out. Let me know if you need any tips.

Dave Kopperman said...

And then, instead of making a video, you can simply upload the audio to Soundcloud and embed back here. The audio quality will be really sharp.

dan said...

Big thumbs up for the transcription idea (for this and the weekly updates). I'd like to know what Dave's up to, but I struggle to carve out time to watch YT videos to find out.

Tony Dunlop said...

I haven't watched the whole thing, but nice work (albeit not really trendy at this late date) using the "Blair Witch" shaky camera thing. Edgy!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Margaret,

Thanks for that!
(I posted that question on the Fb group a few weeks ago, but didn’t get any bites.)

It’s interesting to me to get confirmed that some things Dave do are indeed purely intuitive, as one might suspect. ‘Cuz he usually seems to have intellectual justifications for things.

Travis Pelkie said...

You've got it "Scriver" here too, Matt.