Tuesday 20 November 2018

Oy...back to the 'gate.

Hi, Everybody!

Comicslink is here!

Here's the Kickstarter for the birthday card.


That's right, it's that time again...
So as I mentioned, when Dave called me up to set up Please Hold For Dave Sim, I asked him about Ethan Van Sciver and Cyberfrog.

The last Dave was involved was when he offered to go to New Jersey and do a video with Van Sciver.

Dave hasn't heard back since.

Meanwhile, EVS has announced that Dave's coming and doing a video.

So, I told Dave that. And basically, it's Telephone. Dave makes an offer, and EVS announces it online as if it's a done deal and all the "i"s are dotted, and "t"s crossed.

Ya know, with out ACTUALLY saying anything to Dave.

Where Dave stands, is that he's got a verbal agreement to work on Cyberfrog with EVS.

At this point:

When Dave called, I wasn't quite there mentally enough to explain the "If Dave's in Comicsgate, I'm out" position. Mea Culpa. I tried. But, really I was in a state very VERY similar to the one Terry Jones was in when he wrote Douglas Adam's Starship Titanic (ya gotta look it up...).

Also, there's apparently an EVS video called "why I'm leaving Comicsgate." I'm not posting a link because it's twenty-five minutes long. (Like, I'm trying to stay apolitical on the whole Comicsgate thing, but: DAMN! Dude monologues like he's a Stan Lee comic villain...) I've watched fifteen and half minutes of it, and my only takeaway is that EVS is using his "COMICSArtistPro Secrets" (emphasis mine) YouTube channel as a forum to discuss pop culture. And he has a new channel that's gonna be devoted to comics. 

Speaking of Stan, here's an old Soapbox that I think EVERYBODY should see:

Alright, more on this as it develops. 

Or, ya know:
Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...
Next Time: Not me, it's a Cerebus and Hobbs day!

Update: I fixed Mr. Van Sciver's name, as I misspelled it every single time. I apologize to Mr. Van SCIVER and his family for the emotional stress this has caused them. I swear it will happen again at least once... and a tip of the small metal helmet to Travis Pelkie for pointing it out in the comments. 

13 comments:

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Geez this post sucks.

Sorry, Tuesdays are really not the right day for me to tackle longer posts that need more substance.

The basic jist is: If EVS announces something Dave related, take it with a chunk of salt.

Matt
(How have I not been fired yet?)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I agree, I also only made it halfway through that video. (Well, audio with a still picture.) (Not like Dave Calls, that image moved a little...)
Writers should learn to express themselves concisely.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

(Subscribe)

Travis Pelkie said...

Van Sciver. You keep putting that extra r in there.

Jeff said...

Amen, Stan. R.I.P.

Tony Dunlop said...

I actually remember that particular Soapbox, so it must be from somewhere between 1974 and, say, 1978...right?

David said...

I remember Dave saying once that a fan sent him a book or two from Michael Savage (a right-wing talk-radio nut in the US) and Dave thread them right in the trash after reading a bit.

That he seems not to take the same approach with Van Sciver is a bit disheartening. Even if he does agree with him in spirit (nyuk nyuk nyuk) the fact that, like Savage, Van Sciver diminishes his message by burying it with childish bile should be enough for Dave to recognize the enterprise as a waste of time. I appreciate where Van Sciver is coming from but the guy is just annoying as hell with his self-riteousness and obliviousness to larger truths.

Aw well. Still very curious what they have to talk about.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

So many right-wingers are so full of bile when speaking. I just read a short essay from Frank Miller about Occupy Wall Street. He simply ranted for a thousand words, calling the protesters “rapists and thieves”...

Jeff said...

Eolake, I am a right-winger (Conservative all of my adult years), and I generate no bile towards anyone who does not first generate it towards me. I make a point of taking everyone on "face-value", treating everyone who chooses to interact with me with respect, and not doing so unless they first treat me with disrespect.

I am afraid that your comment indicates a deep-seated disrespect, disregard, and (perhaps) hatred of American politics, in general, and Conservative voters in particular.

BTW, in the 2016 election, I voted "NONE OF THE ABOVE", because I could (although such a vote only counts in Nevada), and because I was disgusted by both The Donald and Hillary.

So, have at me.

Bile, I hope, checked at the door.

Travis Pelkie said...

I do believe that Frank Miller has at least in part reconsidered his Occupy Wall Street essay, and recanted at least some of the bile.

Of course, that may have just been around the time he re-signed with DC to do a bunch of new comics with them, so....

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I guess he has, I had to find the essay on archive.org. :-)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Jeff,
Right you are. I guess my feelings get colored a lot by the loathing which T-word and his “base” inspire.

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

Jeff is not completely correct (surprise!). He generates plenty of bile to anyone who criticizes Daddy Dave.

-- Damian