Thursday 17 January 2019

Turning South to the River

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

Dave Sim's twenty-fifth notebook was last seen in July of 2018 in Drink a Gallon Jug of Soda Water. The notebook covers Cerebus #213 through 241 with only 96 pages scanned.

Looking through it, I could see some issue numbers on page 62:

Notebook 25, page 62
It looks like a chapter outline, and how many issues for the F. Stop and Ham character arcs, and for each book. That got moved a bit, as the first book last until 250 instead of 248, and F. Stop appeared in 11 issues, not 8.5, and Ham appeared in 9 issues, not 8.5 (only including the Going Home and Form & Void phonebooks). The Like-A-Look does show up in issue #233.

The next page has more of a break down, and bit more detail on how the issues would go:

Notebook 25, page 63


1 comment:

Jeff Seiler said...

As I have often said, during this soon-to-be-two-year-construction-project outside of (LITERALLY outside of my apartment building), "the fewer the smiles, the fewer the miles!"

Now, where're my lipstick and green face paint?

Oh, yeah. And my purloined TNT?

I think the daily "beep-beep-beep" of the trucks might be gettin' to me...