Monday 30 September 2019

Steve Peters Week II: More Guinness Goodness

Hi, Everybody!

Steve Peters Week II continues:

Friend to the Blog: Steve Peters is running a new KickStarter to fund his latest project: Parallel Comicverses #1, which has a new story in it, WRITTEN BY DAVE SIM! And to celebrate, I'm doing STEVE PETERS WEEK II!

Steve Peters:

Dear Dave:

On one of Matt Dow's recent "Please Hold For Dave Sim" installments, you said that the Kitchen brothers were the first to show you your record in the 2018 Guinness Book of World Records. Just for the record, I'd like it known that I was the first to call you to congratulate you on your record...and you didn't believe me! I probably should've told you in the phone call what I'm about to tell you now, maybe you would've believed me then...though I did at least read to you the entry from the Guinness book.

So, my 50th birthday was in 2017. As you may recall, I share a birthday with Deni (and I've always wondered what significance you find in that fact, since you always find significance in any set of dates). I wanted to do something special that would allow me to always remember what I was doing on my 50th, so I set up a signing with my local comic book shop, Brave New Worlds. They have always carried my comics and the layout of the comic shop in The Comicverse is actually based on their store.

It was a signing for the release of Comicverse: Subspace Chatter #1, which included our Cerebus In Hell? parody (which asks if CIH? is canon, and you later said that our own story is canon as well---you could've knocked me over with a feather when I heard that!). Bianca and I set up at the store, and it ended up being one of THOSE signings---much like the one you described in the story you wrote for the upcoming Parallel Comicverses #1---with me and Bianca sitting there and the comic shop staff standing around, looking at each other. Well, at least I would remember it.

After the signing was over, Bianca and I decided to go to a nearby Barnes And Noble. I picked up a copy of the 2018 Guinness Book of World records, and there it was: a picture of the giant stone Thrunk, and your world record. I took a photo of the entry.


I hadn't heard a thing about it on the internet, and when I got home to check, there was no mention on AMOC or on the official Facebook page. So I thought I'd be the first to congratulate you. I called and read you the Guinness entry off the photo I took. I failed to tell you the details I mentioned above of how I found out about it.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and in one of your weekly updates you played my phone message. You acted either disbelieving or chiding, saying basically "Hey, don't believe everything you read on the Internet". I started wondering if the record was considered a big joke and no one took it seriously and I had missed the discussion about it (it WAS a good 13 years after Cerebus ended, as you pointed out in the update video).

Fast forward to 2018 and I saw that you had created a badge/seal/thingie saying you were a 2018 record holder. I guess you believe it now! I just wanted to go on record saying that I saw it and told you about it first. Incidentally, I posted about it on the Facebook page and didn't get much reaction there, either, even though I included the photo that I shot straight from the book!

Yours,
Steve Peters

Yeah Steve, this one.
_________________________________

So, Happy Birthday Steve!

And Happy Birthday Deni!
Image result for deni loubert

And:
Rob Walton is doing a Ragmop Kickstarter too.
Vark Wars T-Shirt. Vark Wars T-shirt. Vark Wars T-shirt.
Vark Thing. 

Next Time: STOP! Sparky Time!

1 comment:

El Jeffe said...

Can we get an "Amen, and pass the ammunition" for Steve here, for being an astute comics fan, overall, and a REALLY great "Cerebus" supporter?

"Ammunition", El Jeffe asks?

"Yeah, and we don' need to see yer stinkin' Comics Code Authority stamp!"

Patouiee!