Monday 19 September 2016

Carson Grubaugh's Reread Challenge: Women

CARSON GRUBAUGH: 
(from Carson's Re-Read Blog, August 2016)
...Flight and Women, the first two volumes of the four-volume Mothers & Daughters bleed together in my mind, both being about the new matriarchal, Cirinist, state. As with the two volumes of Church & State, and to a lesser extent Jaka's Story and Melmoth, I do not see a huge change in Sim's persona; more an escalation of what started in the previous volume... [Read the full review here...]

CARSON GRUBAUGH'S
CEREBUS RE-READ CHALLENGE:
Cerebus Vol 9: Reads
Cerebus Vol 10: Minds
Cerebus Vol 11: Guys
Cerebus Vol 12: Rick's Story
Cerebus Vol 13: Going Home
Cerebus Vol 14: Form & Void
Cerebus Vol 15: Latter Days
Cerebus Vol 16: The Last Day

2 comments:

Tony Dunlop said...

So I've finally had time to read Carson's comments on "Women," and one thing he said stood out. He writes about how it cumbersome the prose parts can be to wade through, when reading through multiple issues in one sitting, but that it was probably easier to absorb in the original monthly installments. I can attest to the fact that, at least for me, the excerpts from Astoria's and Cirin's (and others'? I don't recall) memoirs were just the right length for a monthly dose. I suspect that Dave, master of comic arts in all its aspects, was aware of this. After all, the time gap between issues was one of the media (along with ink, paper, various sticky stuff such as ziptone) of which Cerebus was composed. It seems plausible that, as with the other pieces of the work, Dave was using "real-world" time as an effective artistic device. It certainly seems that way to me, in retrospect.

Unknown said...

Hi Tony - It was a guessing game every step of the way.

Not everyone has the same reading speed or capacity for text-in-comics.

At the same time a lot of folks just find comics too "text light" to be a valid reading experience.

"Why would I read a ketchup label when I can read a book?"

The Internet is definitely taking MOST people in the ketchup label direction, though, I think.