Thursday 20 December 2018

CANADIAN VARK- in stores now!

Sean Michael Robinson:




Hey hey hey! While Matt's asleep, just wanted to let everyone know that CANADIAN VARK has been spotted in the wild! It should be out in your local comic store, having been "picked" for distribution by Diamond a week early due to their not being a delivery next Wednesday (owing to Jesus' birthday).
Definitely hop on the CANADIAN VARK train as quickly as you can, as there are less copies out there than any Aardvark-Vanaheim title ever. And it happens to be the first solo-Dave issue of a streak of 10 or so issues that, in my humble opinion, represent the funniest stuff he's written since...well, that would be telling.

Politics. Flames. Satan. Nietche. Hell. It's all there in CANADIAN VAAAARRRKKKK.

OCT181300
(W) Dave Sim (A) Dave Sim, Gustave Dore (CA) Lee Thacker, Benjamin Hobbs
Now! With No Reprints! Book Length All-In-One Issue! Cerebus' Canadian Inaugural Address, 2020; Cerebus is his own Bioethics Mandarin; Cerebus beheads everyone at a campaign stop; Cerebus as "Mecca/Jerusalem/Vatican City"-style candidate; Voluntary carbon tax paid only by environmentalists; Nutrient-dense Locavore Eco-magno variant systems; Friedrich Nietzsche, Environment Minister; Dancing With The Inconvenient Stars starring Jennifer Lopez as Al Gore; The Whore of Babylon serializes her diary online from when she was Cerebus' intern; the three answers that answer ANY question in a Liberal or NDP riding; Cerebus, Political Jargon Monster; "And Men Shall Call Him H.E.L.O.C." Batvark and Woolly-Bully's Sacred African Mask of Doom.
In Shops: Dec 19, 2018
SRP: $3.99
 
 

5 comments:

Jeff said...

Okay, because the radiator in my apartment has, once again, awakened me with its infernal noise and because I got nothin' better to do, I've decided to divert y'alls' attentions by sending a shout-out to The Kid.

First of all, he is not exactly a kid. But, in my mind, he always will be. If The Splendid Splinter could have first been, briefly, known as The Kid, and then, forty-some years later, the son of one of the premiere members of The Big Red Machine should have earned, and kept, the sobriquet of "The Kid", well, then, your friend and mine, Mr. Site Administrator, can also well be called that. If only for allowing me to post such a massive run-on sentence. (Thanks!, bud!)

My "The Kid", my friend from way back in the stone age (2000-mumble mumble) actually *was* a kid when I met him. We had already exchanged jokes and barbs on the equivalent of cave walls known then as the Cerebus Yahoo Newsgroup Page, but I wanted to meet him in person.

I was not disappointed, although I was, from the start, overwhelmed. I had thought that he seemed funny, but, in person, he was (and remains) calamitously so. One of the sharpest and quickest wits this side of Kitchener, Ontario.

I mean that, sincerely. When I wasn't laughing MAO, I was struggling to keep up. The Kid had, and still has, an innate ability to quickly observe the field-level activity and subsume it, putting everyone within shouting distance at ease, while simultaneously giving them side stitches from laughter.

And, for a Kid, he is remarkably well-aware of and adept at a wide number of subjects, from global politics to international relations with comic book guys, to family dynamics (Hi! Mrs. The Kid!!), to how to deal with both the new fans and the old whipper-snappers (why, I oughta), and more.

I like to call The Kid a friend. Perhaps he is no more than an acquaintance. And, he's much more The Dad, nowadays, than he is The Kid. But. There was a time, back when (as a mutual acquaintance of ours used to say) the Earth was still cooling, he was, to this old codger, The Kid. I think he always will be, even after Janis Joplin and Bullwinkle are no longer kids.

Just so we're clear, both Ted and Ken, Jr., were not particularly fond of the sobriquet, but in each case it was meant honorably. "Here's a young man who stands out, at a ridiculously early age."

So, why am I writing about my The Kid now? No, he's not dying (to the best of my, and his, knowledge). I am writing about him now because it's an early Minnesota winter morning and the damn radiator is still making noises loud enough to wake the dead.

There, Kid. Your eulogy, 50 years early. Now, where's the open bar?

Jeff said...

Oh, yeah, and reason #57, as to why I worked so hard on this? They're tearing down my entire block, except for, but right up beside my apt. building. *You* try sleeping through that.

And I got stuff to do today. (Why, I oughta...)

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

Can someone check on Jeff every so often?

-- Damian

Michael Grabowski said...

My retailer also had my Canadian Vark! #1 for me but stopped ordering extra copies for the shelf several months ago. Every once in a while the guy at the counter appreciates the cover.

Tony Dunlop said...

"Can someone check on Jeff every so often?"

I think, much like the guy talking loudly to himself in the back of the bus, it's best to...just pretend he's not there. With any luck he'll leave us alone. For God's sake don't make eye contact.