Monday 11 February 2019

The Ol' AMOC Mailbag

Hi, Everybody!

As I do:
There's a Indiegogo live if you missed the Kickstarter for the birthday card.

The remastered Volume 1, digitally for $9.99.


No word on the postcard Kickstarter, or a Star code for the remastered Jaka's Story, but I'll add 'em to the list when I get 'em!
_____________________________________________________________________________

Okay, time to clean out the Ol' AMOC Mailbag:                                                                           
                                                                                                                                                          
Item: Eddie Khanna sent in:
A link to an interview with a band called TARIM (Talking to Tarim?) which I don't think has been run on AMOC before
From the interview:
X: Is the name Tarim derived from the mummies found in the Chinese river, the fictitious god, or the city in South Yemen? Please explain. James: The name actually comes from a graphic novel series called Cerebus, a parody book featuring a barbarian aardvark. Tarim is the deity worshiped by Cerebus. We went with it to pay homage to the creator of the series, Dave Sim, but also because it just sounds cool.
Thanks Eddie!
______________________________________________________________________________
Item: Carson Grubaugh sent in:
Hey Matt,

I don't know where all our fans are at but there will be chances for people to go see some of my original art from SDOAR and YDKJ coming soon.

There is a page from SDOAR V. 1 going up 2/1/2019-2/21/2019 at The Downtown Gallery, 102 N Main St. Kokomo, IN 46901

and a piece for YDKJ from Februrary 15, 2019- May 3,  Joseph A. Cain Memorial Gallery. Del Mar College, 101 Baldwin Blvd, Corpus Christi Texas 78404

Best,
Carson
 Thanks Carson!
_______________________________________________________________________________
Item: Travis Pelkie sent in:
Just in case you missed it another chapter of the Grant Morrison/Gerhard story is in Heavy Metal 292. 
Thanks Travis! You can order a copy here. (I don't know where part two is, Part one was in #283, and #292 says it has part three.)
______________________________________________________________________________
Item: This one's fun, Marie Miguel send me:
Hi there, I am emailing you because I have a quick question about a mental health project I'm working on. Simply put, the goal is to try to educate more families about mental health & wellness related topics by possibly working with websites like yours. As someone that has been featured in Yahoo, ADAA, TheMighty, AMHCA, GoodMenProject, etc... mental health has become something I'm increasingly passionate about. I'm doing what I can to support and encourage more discussions about these and other important topics. After looking at a few pages of your website, initially this one http://momentofcerebus.blogspot.com/2014/10/ I noticed it's a great resource and also that you linked to a psycnet.apa.org page I thought I'd reach out. If there is a way to encourage and support you in covering these topics for the benefit of your readers, I'd like to discuss in more detail with you; even if there is a fee. If this might be something you're interested in, please let me know. If not, I understand and don't necessarily expect a response back from you. Thanks for your consideration & have a great day. Marie
I responded:
Hello Marie,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but the blog post you mentioned (at least I THINK it's the post you meant,) was written by someone who is not associated with A Moment of Cerebus anymore.

My blog (well, I run the joint, but I didn't start it,) mostly deals with the comic book series Cerebus the Aardvark. Mental health isn't really a prominent topic on a regular basis.

I mean, I'd be willing to run something occasionally, if I could find a way, but I don't think it's very likely.

Matt Dow
Interim Editor
A Moment of Cerebus
The post I think she meant was one written by Mara Sedlins. As she left before I took over, I don't think Marie and I are gonna be doing Mental Health Issues posts...
_____________________________________________________________________________
Item: Carson Grubaugh also sent in:
Hi Matt,

Went to a friend's studio today and he had this sculpture (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/madlib-quasimoto-stones-throw-yellow-471567030) on a shelf. I said "Oh,a yellow Cerebus!"
And checking eBay, these things ain't cheap...

No, Apparently it is Lord Quasimoto, the mascot for rapper Madlib.

Hmm?
Thanks Carson? I guess...I mean I'll NEVER afford one of these, and it'd be SUPEREASY to turn it into Cerebus.
_______________________________________________________________________________
Item: Who's got money?
Issue #30 page 12
Issue #69 page 18
Seriously, who's got money?
____________________________________________________________________________
Item: This one's funny:

There's a Humble Bundle for ALL of Spawn up to issue #262 (SO close to #301 and Todd's bullshit claims of "beating the record")...except issue #10.

Ya know, the one Dave wrote.

They even got the Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Frank Miller, and Grant Morrison issues...

That's hilarious to me.
____________________________________________________________________________
Item: That's all I got.

Next Time: Cerebus stuff of some sort...

1 comment:

Birdsong said...

Part two of Grant Morrison and Gerhard's THE SMILE OF THE ABSENT CAT is in Heavy Metal issue 286