Saturday 5 June 2021

Please Hold For Dave Sim 6/2021

Hi, Everybody!

Dave called, I had off of work, so we got Please Hold done early. 

Here's the Audio:


And the Video:

Part one starts mid-conversation. My oldest daughter won student of the Year on Thursday, so we discuss that.

And then I gave Dave time to answer Seiler's phone question, but there wasn't one. So Dave answers my question:
I presume that Seiler left a phone message, so we’ll lead off with that (as usual), speaking of Seiler, I remember that he once sent you a postcard of an American flag, and you kept it and left it in the sun so it faded, and you painted it again and again until it was more paint than postcard, and you asked him if he could send you another one. And he sent you a full size (3 foot by five foot) flag, and when he told me, I found you a set of American flag car stickers, and sent them up. My question is, how many do you have left, or are you out?
In Part two, Dave answers:
David Brown asked:
Hello.

I enjoy your blog about Cerebus, and it appears to now be the semi-official home of Dave Sim.

Do you know if Mr. Sim still does sketch commissions for people? I've looked all over the site and cannot find any information about this. Would the best thing to do be to ask Mr. Sim directly about this by sending him a letter?

Thank you for your blog, and any response that you have will be valued.

Thank you.
David Brown


Chad Lambert has a Cerebus in Hell? pitch:
My pitch is simple:
From the Cockles of Satan's Sack Comes...

Jingles the Undead


Jingles isn't a zombie... he's brought back to life a few minutes after he died (proving a minute in the infernal realm feels like a lifetime). He's not in the real world very long before immediately returning to Hell to share his tale of resurrection to no one who cares. . It would have brief cameos from both Cerebus and Possum At Large, mainly because Jake T. Possum has experience bouncing back and forth from the infernal realm to our living infernal realm.

Paper thin idea? Yep. But I can make it funny. :)
Thanks!
Chad


In part three, Steve Swenson asks:
Hiya Matt ~

Inquiring minds want to know:

1) When the phone books were originally released (so not considering the Remastered editions), were any changes in dialogue, art, etc made from the original issues?

2) When the Silverspoons pages were originally printed in the CBG (and I'm a lucky owner of a full set of these), were they paid for as full page adds or what? I can't exactly recall, but it may have been these strips and the recommendation of cat yronwode that led me to start reading Cerebus.

3) Did DC contact you before reprinting the Spirit / Cerebus story in the final Spirit Archive edition?

Yeah, that's enough for now.
Steve
ps -- Matt, at your discretion, I'm fine if these get spread over a couple of 'Please Holds', don't want to hog the phone time!


In part four, 
Michael R. (the most famous thing from Easton Pennsylvania since they read the Declaration of Independence there in 1776) asked:
Hi Matt!

Hope all is well with you and yours. Thank you for keeping the peace on AMOC.

Question for Dave.
In Going Home on page 148, Jaka said to Cerebus, "Oh Goofo … what a MESS, huh?" I thought it was strange for Jaka to say this to Cerebus and blow it off when Cerebus questioned Jaka about it. I googled F. Scott Fitzgerald and found this.

"On October 26, 1921, she gave birth to their daughter and only child Frances Scott "Scottie" Fitzgerald. As she emerged from the anesthesia, he recorded Zelda saying, "Oh, God, goofo I'm drunk. Mark Twain. Isn't she smart—she has the hiccups. I hope it's beautiful and a fool—a beautiful little fool." Fitzgerald used some of her rambling in his later writing; the words appear almost verbatim in Daisy Buchanan's dialogue from The Great Gatsby. "

I'm thinking this couldn't be a coincidence that you had Jaka say this to Cerebus. Especially, since F. Stop Kennedy hadn't been introduced yet in the story yet.

I also found this about Fitzgerald in Wikipedia. "Fitzgerald worked on included two weeks' unused dialog work on loanout to David Selznick for Gone with the Wind (1939) for which he received no credit."

I hope you had a wonderful birthday.
Michael


I responded:
Michael!

"Keeping the peace" that's a funny way of putting it...

I point you to the Introduction of Going Home:

 I'll still send this up to Dave if you want.
And Michael said:
Hi Matt!
Whoops! Good catch. OK, scrap that question. I have my own notebook and when I reread Cerebus or anything relating to Cerebus I jot it down. I find it interesting (at least to me) that I found that quote and it was written in the front of the book. I have no recollection why I wrote it down because I didn't make more notes. Haha.

How about this one.

In Form & Void p597-598 ---Cerebus is running through the snow storm and has a hallucination (or dream) of Rick. Rick's giving Cerebus directions on how to get over the ridge, then an older Rick appears and says to Cerebus, "We'll see each other once more after today." " The something (this is scratched out) around with the something (also scratched out) and something (scratched out again ) but as yet the something (scratched out for the 4th time) are something (scratched out the last time). " Come and see." Cerebus then said, " Oh SHIT." "That's RIGHT." "Cerebus already SAW."

What was the words that should have been in place of "something" that was scratched out?

Michael
And I responded with:
And:
And Michael said:
Sigh, you're good. That's why you run AMOC. Nothing ( except racist stuff ;) LOL!!! ) gets by you. Strike two. I'll quit while I'm ahead. Just tell Dave that I hope he had a great birthday.
So, “Michael hopes you had a great birthday”…
Speaking of F. Scott, the New York Times reported:To help commemorate its 125th anniversary, The Times Book Review is highlighting some noteworthy first mentions of famous writers. You can find the full list here. Some of our favorites:

F. Scott Fitzgerald: In 1916, Princeton admitted only men, and they would often play women’s roles in campus plays. The Times featured a photo of Fitzgerald in character, calling him “the most beautiful showgirl.

Makes me wonder if he and Hemingway ever performed in a Cabaret together?

Part six finds Dave answering:
David Hartman asks:
I recently acquired a Cerebus phonebook (2001- 10th printing) for 8 bucks. I immediately noticed that the panel with Cerebus from the back (issue #1) is in sillhouette like the counterfeit, single issue. Anybody else notice this? Or know why?


Jen DiGiacomo asks:
Does anyone know what year this Christmas card is from?

In part seven, Dave answers:
Jen DiGiacomo also asks:
Ron Essler Reminder, if you are short on questions, I am curious about the "Cerebus Companion" referenced in The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom #471 (Nov 26, 1982).
click for bigger.

Margaret Liss says: Jen - what do you want to know about it? On the CFG site: "Cerebus Companion, Jerry Sweet's: published in a very limited edition by the author, Jerry Sweet. There is an electronic version at the above wraithspace website link. I have also have a PDF verision which is pretty large (18 mb) Jerry Sweet's Cerebus Companion (PDF). Right click and save as on link, 17.8 MB in size. It is a summary and discussion on Cerebus up through Jaka's Story. As far as I know it was never released in a book format." The wraithspace link is dead, but there is a PDF version on this facebook group under the files section.

And Jen clarifies: Is this the same one as referenced in 1982? The copyright is 1989 on the file you mentioned (which I had printed out years ago) and it doesn't include interviews, unpublished artwork, photos, nor sketches. If it is different, then I'm curious what it morphed into.

And Margaret mentions: Ron - when you ask Dave Jen's question, I wonder how much that news blurb has to do with the "Cerebus Collector" stuff from his fourth notebook - seems very similar:

Albatross Four covers Cerebus issues #41 to 45 with 99 pages out of 108 pages scanned. A couple of the pages dealt with a never published title called Cerebus Collector. There is a contents listing on page 14:

Then on page 20 we see a sketch for the front and back cover. I've rotated the notebook page by 90 degrees to make it easier to view:


And Part eight, where we bring it on home and wrap this all up.

Big finale.

*Jazz Hands*
________________________________________

If everybody who backed the Swords of Cerebus in Hell? Volume 1 hardcover Kickstarter could get their surveys in that'd make me a VERY happy Matt...

Heritage has some interesting "Dave Sim" bits (Page from issue 5, and two (count 'em) TWO! Beavers strips!)

Up to 35% off site-wide:
June 10 – 12
June 23 – 27
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off -- that means $13 tees, $20 phone cases, $30 hoodies, and way more!
Next Time: Oliver.

4 comments:

Larry Wooten said...

Congratulations on your daughter's earning Student of the Year!
Hard work and guts bears fruit.

Birdsong said...

I'm torn between telling the secret of the SWORDFISH so Dave can make a buck or two, but these are always worth a complete listen.

Really happy that CAN9 is coming out next. Not quite a year and a half in the making, but 14 months is long enough (Dave wrote his notes on April 4, 2020). I spent a couple of weeks getting the notes together and creating the image for the Kickstarter that I've been wanting to show off. I couldn't resist the Number 9 Beatles reference so I hope I didn't go too far over the top with it.

Michael R. said...

I do listen all the way through when Matt hangs with Dave on "Please Hold For..." and I can't wait for CAN9 once I get my High Society Regency Edition HC.

Richard P. said...

I listen all the way thro'.... and it's not just Lee in the UK...... already penalised with postage costs (as well as...)