Friday 2 November 2012

Gerhard's Photos: In The Studio

GERHARD:
Jeff Tundis had posted a bunch of my old photos and I included some little captions on his Art of Gerhard website quite a while ago. I've just started going through my old photos and here are a few that aren't on his website. Click the images to enlarge.

King Street Studio:
The old studio on King St. looking as it usually did; papers and books and Letratone strewn everywhere, the match-print for the cover and the original pages hanging from their clips on the wall. This is one of those self-portraits where I barely managed to scramble from the camera to the chair in time to plop myself down and look casual.

Dave's Reflection:
Dave's reflection in the framed original cover art for Church & State II. I was just walking through his studio one day and the refection in the glass caught my eye. It was one of those, "where's my camera" moments. It'd be pretty straightforward to Photoshop something like this now.

Drawing Memoth:
Dave at the drawing board, his hand a blur of creative energy as he tries to pack more tiny little lines onto a page than I do. Little does he know that I'm in my studio sopping in solid blacks with a roller. That's a copy of my master drawing of the Melmoth street scene he has taped to his board next to photo reference for two of the characters.

Gerhard provided background art to Dave Sim's cast of Cerebus characters between issue #65 (August 1984) and #300 (March 2004) - contributing to over 4,700 pages of comic art, as well as numerous Cerebus covers and illustrations. Keep up to date on all of Gerhard's current projects at his blog and website, including details of his new book, The Wish.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Thanks for posting these! That looks like Cerebus #130 hanging in Ger's studio. :)

Slumbering Agartha said...

I hope there's lots more of this type of content coming.

The pic of Dave's silhouette perfectly centered over the tiny, wide eyed Cerebus was goose-bump-inducing.