Tuesday 6 November 2012

Kevin Eastman: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #8

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #8 (1986)
Art by Kevin Eastman
(Click Image To Enlarge)
KEVIN EASTMAN:
(from the introduction to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #8, 1986)
...I first stumbled onto Dave Sim's Cerebus in a pile of underground comics in my home town of Portland, Maine's own Moonshadow comic store. It was issue #23, entitled The Beguiling, and I was blown away from the start. At first glance, Cerebus seemed to be a dark, straight forward (with the exception of the main character's species), well-drawn, serious barbarian adventure... then I read it!

To say the least, I haven't missed  an issue since #23 and have also managed to pick up all the early books through Dave's Swords Of Cerebus reprint collections. Cerebus is a book that I believe every comics fan should read at least once -- and perhaps for you too that will be all it takes to get you hooked!

Anyway, in the following forty-five pages (yes, forty-five of them!) I hope you will find not only an exciting, kinda bizarre adventure for the turtles, but also a just plain fun story for all the characters involved.

Before I forget, both Peter [Laird] and I want to extend a great big special thanks to Dave Sim (and Gerhard!) for all the wonderful touches he and Cerebus gave our story...

Kevin Eastman is the co-creator (with Peter Laird) of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and is currently the publisher of Heavy Metal. TMNT #8 has recently been reprinted in IDW's TMNT: The Ultimate Collection Vol 2. Dave Sim discussed the TMNT/Cerebus crossover during the recent HARDtalk Tour at Millar World.

2 comments:

Slumbering Agartha said...

whoa, i didn't realize Kevin was from Portland Maine. I went to art school there (Maine College of Art, then called Portland School of Art). I totally remember that comic shop, it was run by a guy named Kim who looked exactly like the character Merlin in the comic Mage. There was a breakfast place near campus called "The Magic Muffin" that served
The.
Best.
Muffins.
in the world. No, seriously.

Ben Lundy said...

This issue of TMNT was what got me into Cerebus. I showed it to my sister and she mentioned that she had several of the phone books. The rest is history...