Saturday 19 August 2023

New Dave Art! Weird CiH? issue! New Dave Art! I'ma go to bed!

Hi, Everybody!

I'ma tired. SIM:

I asked the team, and Hobbs said:
My guess is 1-105 were damaged in binding. The book was late due to something with binding.
Sim was having none of that, but that's a "Not NOW, I'ma tired" post for later...

Anyway:





And Page 6: (Clicky for biggie)

And I said New Dave Art! twice: (Click for Unorthodox Sizing Revenge (IE: Biggie).)
Dave says:

Hi Todd!  Fortunately the Triptych will be wider than it is tall, so you might have room for some or all of this on the page.  LOL.   Dave

Dave Sim Cerebus No.54/55/56 cover art recreation triptych (Aardvark-Vanaheim 1983) Just in time for the 40th anniversary of Wolverroach. "I had collaborated with Joe Rubinstein on the 'The Morning After' back-up story in Swords of Cerebus Vol.2 and had noted that Joe used a highly polished but more conventional Marvel brush inking technique on the story rather than his Neal Adams-style inks I knew from his collaboration with John Byrne on Captain America.  So, this was 'none of my business' unspoken questioning of artistic choices.  Frank Miller had obviously been doing his best Neal Adams riffs pencilling the covers for the Wolverine mini-series (1982), so why hadn't Joe used Adams-style inks on those covers?  You know, like this?"  That is, "pen-heavy" rather than "brush heavy"? i.e. I was "doing" Neal in the pencils, but then inventing a cross-hatch heavy pen and simplified brush style on my parody covers. No way to ask Joe that without being rude and I literally never saw Joe at another convention after that (to this day). It's worth noting, I think, that this was three years before The Dark Knight Returns where Frank made the artistic choice to go with Klaus Jansen who opted for a very "pen dominant" look.

 

It certainly pushed the boundaries of what constituted a parody: Marvel's Core-of-the-Franchise Intellectual Property and the only difference was the little antennae balls on the points of his mask.  Which was part of what I was making fun of since the Wolverine mask was really a "riff" on Batman's bat-ears. How do you do Batman without actually doing Batman?  Also it was just Wolverroach on the three covers, "riffing" on three of the four Wolverine covers. It's parody, but it's also, arguably, actionable misappropriation. Jim Shooter had a word with me before a convention panel.  "If you ever decide to do that again, call me first." Which I said I would do, but knew I wouldn't since I knew he would just say "No".  Which I assume was him covering his own bases with the Marvel Legal Department. If I did do it again, he could then let Legal "Loose the hounds" and I'd have only myself to blame. I never did it again mostly because the occasion never came up again. Leaving open the question: how many solo covers is too many solo covers, legally?  Which has never been tested in the subsequent forty years.  Happy Birthday, Wolverroach!    

Both these are coming to Heritage eventually...
______________________________
The Hardcover The Last Day Kickstarter ends Wednesday August 23rd. Which is ALSO your last day (heh.) to get a print of one of these signed by Dave (for $75 CAD through Cerebus Downloads, just click the "Dave Sim Fund" donation button.):

After that you can get a print signed by Dave AND me for whatever AMERICAN price I jack it up to. The extra prints will be added to The AMOC Rummage Sale
______________________________
The Strange Death of Alex Raymond Go Fund Me
______________________________
The Help Out Bill Messner-Loebs Go Fund Me and Rodney Schroeter's book with proceeds going to Bill
______________________________
The Last Day Without nothing.
   "      "     "        "  Dave's signature.
   "      "     "        "  an Old Cerebus Remarque
   "      "     "     Auction catalog for the Panoramic Remarques. (I still don't have one, so no idea if I'm currently selling one, or for how much...)
_____________________________
_____________________________
Oliver's Cerebus movie: The Absurd, Surreal, Metaphysical, and Fractured Destiny of Cerebus the Aardvark it's currently available on "Plex", "Xumo", "Vimeo On Demand", "Tubi". If you're in Brazil..."Mometu", "Nuclear Home Video". 
_____________________________
Up to 35% off site-wide:  
August 24-27
Tell your fans! Remind them that everything will be up to 35% off 
_____________________________
Next Time: Dave Sim: Younger. Fatter. With added Gerhard...

No comments: