Tuesday 12 March 2019

New Gerhard art? and The ol' AMOC Mailbag

Hi, Everybody!

There's a Indiegogo live if you missed the Kickstarter for the birthday card. (You guys all know this, I mention it all the time.)

The remastered Volume 1, digitally for $9.99. Which I'll be discussing more soon. (No, seriously...)

And:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1349357665/cerebus-postcard-from-hell-no-1

The new KICKSTARTER. Where things continue to be odd:

More Behind The Scenes Stuff...
Posted by David Birdsong (Assistant Aardvark Fluffer) [Oh, it's true, it's true -Matt]
DVS:  Wow, we're in the single digits now.  With just over a week to go how does everyone feel about how this one is going?
SMR:  I'm grateful to all the supporters for any help they can provide.
DB:  There are about thirty people that are following the campaign, but haven't committed yet so we could see a surge near the end.  I think we'll all be getting that extra can of cat food next month and for that I am very grateful to all the Cerebus In Hell? fans.
BH:  YOU JUST WAIT!  THOSE BRICKS WILL START FLYING OUT OF HERE ANY DAY NOW!
Cerebus:  You idiots haven't even cleared two grand!  Ha!  Your stupid CEREBUS TORTURE COMIC will be cancelled any day now!
DVS:  You do realize what will happen if you're right?
Cerebus:  What?  You mean you guys won't get to make Cerebus' life miserable all the time?  Ha!  Where does Cerebus sign up for that?!?  Huh?!?  WHEN YOU FAIL CEREBUS WILL FINALLY BE FREE!!!
DVS:  Actually at point you enter a limbo that no one can predict, utterly alone, in a void that is less than nothing.  I imagine it's a loneliness that is quite horrifying, as unique as it is indescribable and even though you might deserve it I would hate for it to happen to you.
Cerebus:  Uhhh... Wait, uhhh...  Cerebus was joking of course.  Cerebus loves all the fans!  Surely they won't send Cerebus into Limbo?  Right?  RIGHT???
DB:  Put the Daredevil costume on, we need to get the measurements right.
BH:  The Harley Quinn makeup is almost ready too.
SMR:  I want to see him in the LOVE SCENE with the WHORE of BABYLON.
Cerebus:  Cerebus would kill all of you slowly if he could.
DVS:  He's been saying that about me for years, guys.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.
DB:  Ha ha! Yeah!  Put the Spider-Man mask on so we can attach all the extra arms!
BH:  Hold still, it won't hurt much.
SMR:  There, there, let me get you to FULL resolution.  Just a bit more...
Cerebus:  NOOOOOOooooooooooooooo ...
Thanks to everyone!  We're in the home stretch now.  And don't worry too much about the little grey guy.  He's actually a good sport once you force him to be.

___________________________________________________________________________

Okay, does everybody remember Greg Hyland and The Monster Atlas? The Kickstartered book that had images from Gerhard? Like this one:

Yeah, that's a Wendigo...
Well, Greg's back with Volume two! And if they hit $4000 it'll have more Gerhard art. I'm backing it, so should you. (Unless you're a filthy Hsiffe!!!) (Ah, fug it, even if you're a filthy Hsiffe.)

Ogopogo. You'd know what that is, if you had volume one. Like I do.
____________________________________________________________________________

So the Ol' AMOC Mailbag received this from "damaged justice":
The persnickety, persistent peanut gallery 
Is "Damian T. Lloyd, Esq."'s sole *raison d'ĂȘtre* to hang around on the MoC blog and being a complete cunt? Because as far as I can tell, he contributes nothing of positive value, and the vast majority of his comments are passive-aggressive snarking about Dave's religious commentary, followed by a few petty jabs at political or cultural stances which Dave may or may not hold. It's frankly tiresome, and MoC is quite degraded by it. -dj
Sasquatch. Friend to Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man...
I'm assuming Mr(?) "Justice" is referring to the forty-third "Genesis Question" post where the... (let's go with:) "esteemed" Mr. Lloyd is involved in a flame war with Jeff Seiler over... honestly, I don't even know. I get a message about the post, but I've kinda tuned out. 

And this is the Jersey Devil. The #1 reason I won't go to Jersey. Ya know, other than Jersey is in New Jersey...
So why am I bringing it up here, all publicly like? 

Mothman. I hope he got Richard Gere...
Mainly, because Mr(?) "Justice" isn't the first person to say something to me about the (let's go with:) "anus-weasel," Mr. Lloyd. I've been contacted by a couple of people who seriously question why Mr. Lloyd frequents this blog and generally trolls the place up.

Aztec Mummy. Look, I just post the images, I don't question what they are...
I mean, he ain't got nothing nice or productive to say about Dave or Cerebus. (Here's where he stops by in the comments to post some backhanded "compliment" about Cerebus or some such, as "proof" that I'm wrong. So, allow me to preemptively say, "BULLSHIT!!!!!!" )

In The Monster Squad, they call him Gillman...
He constantly issues "challenges" where he asks people to say five things proving him wrong (and "helpfully" gives two examples which he then claims any other examples provided are derivatives of,).

"They're coming to get you Barbara. There's one of them now!"
Or, claims that someone has "moved the goalposts" when they respond to him. 

Basically, he's a complete dick.

The cool part for me, is that he's not the first Complete Dick in Cerebus Fandom. (The shite part is that he won't be the last...)

It's been suggested that I moderate the hell out of the comments section.

Yeah, I'm not gonna do that.

My "policy" is that Nothing is Forbidden, Everything is Permitted. It's the policy I feel best fits a Cerebus Forum. 

That being said, if push comes to shove, I will readily change my policy.

Basically:

You ALL are on notice. This place MAY be the Wild Wild West, but I AM the Sheriff round these parts. And if you test me, you will lose.
Next Time: Deputy Hobbs' Fun Time round-up...From Hell!

10 comments:

Dominick Grace said...

Hmmm.

OK, well, one, what amount to anonymous complaints boil my socks.

Two, yes, I agree that Damian can be (is?) at times unnecessarily ... cutting. However, he's often right about what he's being mean about. (Take Jeff's claim to basically have a degree he doesn't have because he completed all but one of the requirements. I can sympathize with Jeff on this one, but Damian is simply right here: you have it, or you don't. If you didn't complete all the requirements successfully and get the piece of paper, you don't have it. Why you don't might matter [I have no opinion on this, not really knowing Jeff and knowing nothing of the faculty member involved, but faculty are well capable of being dicks; otoh, there are appeals processes students can follow when professorial dickery happens, though on the other other hand some appeals that should succeed, don't], but that doesn't change the fact. All but one means you. don't. have. it. But yes, this is perhaps one of Damian's digs that can be retired--if only because one gets tired of Jeff feeling compelled to rehearse his professional qualifications, if not every time it comes up, at least enough times for it to get pretty tiresome.)

Three, I really think that little to no moderation of discussion is pretty much a requirement on a Cerebus site, of all places--Dave's views on free speech may have modified over time, but I think it's fair to say he still supports it, even speech with which he disagrees. I mean, his entire cosmology is premised on the notion that God patiently tolerates the endless trolling of YHWH, is it not? From one point of view, therefore, would not endless trolling of Sim here simply underscore his position?

Four, Simcophancy is far less interesting than pretty much everything else that gets posted here. There is no credible defense of Sim's scriptural analysis as anything short of crackpot bugfuckery, for instance. Pretending (let alone, God forbid, actually believing) anything else pretty much cedes the field to Damian et al.

Sure, I would prefer balanced and reasoned commentary to snark or idolizing, but I'll take the snark over the idol-worship any day.

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Dominick,

There are two kinds of anonymity around here. The kind I allow, and the kind I grant.

Mr(?) Justice's is the former. The people I haven't named are the latter.

I've been told I'm WAY to loose in how I run the comments, but I agree with you 100%. Censorship runs against everything Cerebus stood for.

But, as the issue has come up more than once, I believe I need to address it.

So EVERYBODY is on notice. I may be lax, but I'm not NOT paying attention.

Plus I got to post the awesome new logo, which is always fun for me.

Matt Dow
(Fun fact: James Cagney played a character named "Matt Dow" in 1955's Run For Cover.)

Jeff said...

Dom, for the record, I have always claimed, truthfully, to have the *equivalent* of a Masters' degree in Clinical Psychology, because I did all of the classwork and did the internship, but got screwed out of the final passing grade in a class that was an elective so that I could stem off having to start repaying my student loan. The professor was corrupt; no syllabus and he didn't tell us that he *only* gave grades of 0 or 100. Nothing in between. When I asked him if he had ever given grades between 0 or 100, he replied, "I used to, but it got to be too much trouble." I later earned a Masters' degree in Counseling Psychology, to augment my Bachelors' degree. So Damian *was* wrong about me.

I challenge anyone out there to tell me 42 graduate school credits and a completed internship isn't the *equivalent* of accomplishing a degree. Or, at least, an education in the stated subject.

I did appeal, Dom, and was taken seriously. But, they circled the wagons. I should have sued, but I was broke. Too late to sue now.

Seth Manhammer said...

Throwing my (unasked for) two cents into the mix...

As a lurker here and in the Facebook group (before I deactivated my account, Facebook has been the pits lately) I've always appreciated the free flowing and relativity unregulated dialogue regarding Cerebus and Dave, positive or negative. It's cool to see differing viewpoints and try to understand where everyone is coming from, and for the most part everyone seems to treat everyone respectfully. Key words: "for the most part."

Having spent time in both forums I've obviously seen Damian's posts and how he interacts with others. I have wondered why he exudes the energy he does on something he does not appear to enjoy in any capacity, but at the end of the day his comments are irrelevant to me and he's a non-entity as soon as I click to another page.

That being said, the issue I take on the matter is how it has been presented here. Specifically calling him out by name to address the issue of comment moderation. Moderate the comments or don't, that choice is entirely up to you as the runner of this blog. However, calling out a user and stating an opinion on said user while also stating you will do nothing until "push comes to shove" is poor form, in my unasked for opinion.

I do not intent for this comment to sound harsh or angry, and if by some means it does I do apologize. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Ibis said...

It would be petty to boot Damien. It would also be inconsistent with how Dave rolls, as I see it.

Anonymous said...

"Moderate the comments or don't, that choice is entirely up to you as the runner of this blog. However, calling out a user and stating an opinion on said user while also stating you will do nothing until "push comes to shove" is poor form, in my unasked for opinion."

Anonymous said...

Dave Sim has stated that Jews brought the Holocaust on themselves, compared women to leeches, and stated that homosexuality belongs at the margins of society behind closed doors.

How about banning Damian when he says something more offensive than any of that.

- Anonymous Fella

JLH said...

Damian is a contrarian. Anytime someone says anything remotely positive about Dave, Damian will magically appear and refute it just for the sake of trying to balance some sort of cosmic scale, offering nothing but negativity and painfully humorless snark in return. It's a sad way to live, and one which I used to pity before I learned to just pass over his comments when it became evident they had a predictable pattern to them. Whatever "points" he may or may not have are belittled by his attitude. But whatever, let him wallow. I prefer to focus on things I like rather than things I hate.

Only positive thing I can think about to say about him is the fact he actually uses his real name. None of these anonymous cowards have half the guts in that respect. They're just trolling for trolling's sake. Allowing them to post does far more damage to the discussion than having a resident contrarian. To paraphrase Mister T, be somebody (a registered user), or be somebody's fool (a lazy anon). What are you afraid of? Aside from marriage proposals from Damian, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

"Dave Sim has stated that Jews brought the Holocaust on themselves, compared women to leeches, and stated that homosexuality belongs at the margins of society behind closed doors. How about banning Damian when he says something more offensive than any of that."

LOL!

Slumbering Agartha said...

Hey, now. Damian might be an absolute cancer, but he's OUR cancer.