Friday 15 March 2019

SDOAR Updates Part 2: Back Cover Edition (Dave's Weekly Update #278)

Hi, Everybody!

Alright, we got a lot to cover and not much time.

The new KICKSTARTER ends on Sunday.

Tomorrow, Saturday:
Hello everyone! [*couch*rip-off!*cough* -Matt]
Just a quick note to let you know that Dave "Dave Sim" Sim himself will be logging in THIS SATURDAY at 3:30 PM Kitchener time (i.e. 3:30 PM if you're on the eastern coast of the United States or Canada, and 12:30 PM if you're on the West Coast). He'll be posting, commenting, and answering your questions right here on the  "Comments" section of this project! Have a piece of obscure trivia to ask the man? Want to find out how Strange Death of Alex Raymond is coming along? Want to ask him how many pages of comics you'd need to meaningfully communicate an entire baseball game? Dave is here for YOU.
(The first time I talked to Dave on the phone, somewhere around Christmas of 20...10? 11? this was exactly what we talked about. Baseball comics. And it was quite the conversation!)
Anyway, if you're already a backer, all you have to do is log in at the right time and comment away! If you're reading this and you're NOT already a backer...well, the barrier is pretty low, partner! Just pony up a buck or two and you're in!
See you all Saturday,
Sean
Below: Dave surprises Sam Noir, writer of Sunny and Owl Girl, at a Kitchener comics festival earlier this month!


Yesterday, Thursday, David Birdsong (known collaborator) posted:
You Have 48 Hours to Change an Aardvark's Attitude...
Which references this
Greg Hyland is Kickstartering the second volume of the Monster Atlas, and if he gets another twenty-four hundred bucks, it'll have Gerhard art like the first volume.

There's more auctions up at ComicsLink.

If you're waiting for a Indiegogo live for the Postcard Kickstarter, like the one for the birthday card Kickstarter, I don't know if there will be one.

Hopefully I'll be discussing the remastered Volume 1, which is available digitally for $9.99, tomorrow.

And The Jaka's Story remaster won't get a Starcode number until the April previews is out, so hopefully next month.

Okay, that should be it. Join me tomorrow where I'll hopefully be discussing "The Palnu Trilogy"

Next Time: Goin' down to Palnu, gonna have my self a time,
Friendly Faces everywhere, humble folks without temptation,
Goin' down to Palnu, gonna leave my woes behind,
Ample Parking day or night, people spouting "Howdy Neighbor!"
Heading up to Palnu, gonna see if I can't unwind,
Mmm mmmm mmmmm mmmm mmm mmm mmmmmmm, Mmm mmmm mmmmm mmmm mmm mmmmmmm,
Come on down to Palnu, n' meet some friends on mine.

Man, I feel like I forgot something...

Ah yeah, right!!!

Heeeeeere's Dave:


3 comments:

Jeff said...

Okay, the progression of the cracked window in the video is pretty cool and well-executed. The meticulous but, apparently unfinished, work on the highlights in Alex Raymond's eyes is very interesting.

But. I will need to hold the *actual* first volume in my hands and, then, going back online for news of volume two, scroll down (and down, and doooooooowwwwwn) to appreciate the magnitude of what you are attempting to accomplish.

Teasers are all well and good, *from time-to-time*, but (sooner or later), the attraction of teasers tends to...get a little rough around the edges. You know, like the really cute girl who's been leading you on for a coupla years, without...um...sealing the deal.

I'm just saying, Dave, that I respect your well-earned right to take as long as you want to get it just right, but I've had waaaay too many chicks (girls? women?) tease me and leave me holding it.

We all know some (many?) of the early panels, as previously published. We can reread those and enjoy the new format, but...

How long until you and I, both, get tired of this waiting game?

Some of us pay attention: First, IDW couldn't wait to put out SDOAR. Now, it seems, you're taking your (well-deserved) time to make your first volume (out of how many?) of SDOAR as perfect as it can be. And, it seems, IDW has reluctantly become...guarded (?)...as formerly fervent favorites tend to do when not attended to.

But, that's just me, reading between the lines.

To paraphrase a great naval captain, "One-quarter speed ahead, and damn those effing torpedoes!"

Just sayin.

JLH said...

Jeff,

Considering the recent news of IDW's parent company money woes, it'll be any wonder if there'll be an IDW still publishing comics when (and if) SDoAR is completed. The fact Dave is so "they publish it or nobody publishes it" about it does not instill me with much confidence that it'll ever see the light of day. That and the fact Dave has never said anything positive about the sales on the Covers book (I'm certainly afraid to ask about that one).

Jeff said...

Well, *I've* got one and can attest to it being amazing. If I have to, I'll buy an SDOAR prototype directly from Dave (or, you know, sneak into Camp David sometime during prayer time) to get a copy of Volume One. Because, you know, I want to actually, you know...um...read it. But, hey, that's just me.