Monday 18 March 2019

The Great 2019 AMOC Re-Read Part, the seventh

Hi, Everybody!

As I'm wont to do:
Greg Hyland is Kickstartering the second volume of the Monster Atlas, and if he gets four grand, it'll have Gerhard art like the first volume.

There's more auctions up at ComicsLink.

If you're waiting for a Indiegogo live for the Postcard Kickstarter, like the one for the birthday card Kickstarter, I don't know if there will be one.

Hopefully I'll be discussing the remastered Volume 1, which is available digitally for $9.99, eventually.

And The Jaka's Story remaster won't get a Starcode number until the April previews is out, so hopefully next month.
_______________________________________________________________________

The Great 2019 a Moment of Cerebus Re-Read

As we all learned when I last talked to Dave, the "Cerebus in Silhouette" Motif has an actual name (emphasis mine):
Dave: Okay, the other thing that you were commenting on, in over 40 years you’re the only person who has noticed it, is the Cerebus silhouette thing.
Matt: [laughs] I only noticed it because I read the first three issues and I was like, they all have that same ending and I’m like, I wonder how issue 4 ends? And I got to that one and I’m like, “Okay, that’s… something that I just noticed.”
Dave: That was square one. That was the first panel in the first issue of Cerebus, Cerebus is a tiny silhouette, you can’t even tell where he stops and where the horse begins. So, it was always going back to square one, panel one, in the early stories, cause I didn’t know how many of these I was going to be able to do, and this was certainly my experience was, it didn’t matter what I did, I was always back at square one.
Matt: [laughs]
Dave: Which, was why I called 112/113, “Square One.”
Square One. Which is how I'll refer to it from now on.

So, The Palnu Trilogy:

It starts off with the Silverspoon strips, which truly read better as individual strips, and not an eleven page story. But it's funny, because except for one panel in High Society (which I've finished re-reading, and will be getting to soon), and the beginning of Church & State Volume one, Silverspoon is completely ignored for the rest of the series after these eleven pages. He doesn't even get mentioned by name in the series proper during the Palnu Trilogy:


We also get the idea of how Lord Julius runs Palnu. 



Lord Julius is a strange character, while his likeness and attitude is a parody of Groucho Marx, Dave doesn't quite pull off the physicality and mannerisms. (That changes later in the series.)
__________________________________________________________________

I like that "GAH!"

Hey look! It's the first appearance of Baskin.
__________________________________________________________________

As always, the crispness of the 17th printing always blows me away.

Here's a few pages from "A Night at the Masque":



I didn't JUST post these pages because of the buxom women in the backgrounds, but it certainly made for an easy decision...
___________________________________________________________________

A part of me wonders if this came out BEFORE or AFTER Raiders of the Lost Ark? Cause it seems a lot like the "Cairo Swordsman" sequence from Raiders of the Lost Ark...

And after seventy pages of Palnu fun, it's time for "Square One":

Next Time: A new Motif appears...

4 comments:

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I wonder why Cerebus’ resting face looks like somebody just pissed in his porridge.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

“I didn't JUST post these pages because of the buxom women in the backgrounds, but it certainly made for an easy decision...”

I know.
I have noticed a strong tendency on my own part to have a bias towards art featuring hot wimmin. I can’t figure out what that’s about.

Paul Slade said...

According to my last five minutes Googling, Raiders was released in the US on June 12, 1981, while the original Cerebus issues containing The Palnu Trilogy were cover-dated March-May 1980.

Slumbering Agartha said...

You can see a marked improvement in Dave's lettering throughout this. Not just as compared to the previous issues, but live, on the page, as you read. I'm sure part of that is because there is just... so MUCH... text here. In other words, lots of practice. But it's not just the quality of the lettering, it's the space he is providing the words with balloon size, and where he's placing the balloons. Note the last panel from page 351, "He's even wearing the same ROBES!" That stands out as a kind of "Jesus Jump" moment where you can see him coming into his prowess.