Saturday 15 November 2014

Gerhard's Art


"Commissioned by Will (he just asked for something Moby Dick related)."

"Back in May, Mia & Charles asked me to draw the birds that visit their palm trees to use on their wedding announcement. I was also asked to draw a close up of the pair of parakeets to use on the menu."

"Julie and Mike commissioned me to draw Frank Lloyd Wright's "Fallingwater", a house that sits atop a waterfall. I wanted to accentuate the flow that Wright designed into the building by keeping the high contrast areas in focus and letting the house blend into the foliage surrounding it."

"I was commissioned by Fred to do a portrait of his wife and daughter. He sent me three photos that I mashed together to get this compostiton. We decided early on to make this a pencil drawing; it's much softer and more suited to the subjects. I hope Duda and Daria agree. I know Fred does."

"I met John Higashi at Big Wow a couple of months ago. He asked if I'd be interested in doing a drawing for his project. The project was inspired by the story of Sadako Sasaki, a Japanese girl who was two years old when the atomic bomb was dropped near her home in Hiroshima. Ten years later she was diagnosed with leukemia and had less than a year to live. An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish. A popular version of Sadako's story is that she fell short of her goal of folding 1,000 cranes, having folded only 644. John is planning a 10-year project (started 01/11) to get pieces from 644 different artists. His goal is to make an 81+ page hardcover book and donate the proceeds to 4 charities: Hiroshima Peace Museum, Japanese American National Museum, Hero Initiative and the Mike Wieringo Scholarship Fund. At the end of the 3rd year, 2013, he had 247 pieces. You can check out some of them here."

For your own commissioned artwork contact Gerhard at: gerzmail [at] yahoo [dot] ca

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wait till you see what I've commissioned from him

:-)