Sunday 26 May 2019

TL:DR: The Genesis Question part fifty-five

Hi, Everybody!

So, two things:

1, the bizness:
Jeff Seiler is winning the Green Dante/Green Virgil Cover for $1300 (US)! If you want in on this action, just comment on this post, or e-mail momentofcerebus@gmail.com As Dave said, the auction ends on Friday at Midnight (CDT). To prevent douchebaggery, I'm limiting the bidding to WHOLE US Dollars, in FIVE DOLLAR INCREMENTS. So if you wanna make Seiler lose his faith in humanity, you gotta come up with at least thirteen hundred and FIVE bucks (You Ess.). After the deadline, I'll contact the winner and figure out how we're getting Dave his money. (Seiler suggested that the increase should be in FIFTY dollar increments, and as much as I wanna get Dave mo' money, I was trying to eliminate the one penny douches...)

The remastered Volume 1 is available digitally for $9.99.

If you got a couple of extra bucks and want to do a fellow Cerebus fan a solid, frequent commentator Mike Battaglia has a go fund me here.

Friend to the Blog, and the guy who sets his phasers to the Light Side: Steve Peters has another Kickstarter going. (I have a joke in one panel.)
2, I ran out of pages from issue 289/290 to run in front of Dave's Genesis Question commentaries. Dave suggested I use Jewish, Christian or Muslim religious images. But then, Superman's Frenemy: David Birdsong sent in a bunch of (so far) unused Cerebus in Hell? images and now I'ma gonna run them. So:
____________________________________________________________________________
image by Doré, Sim & Birdsong
15 February 15

Hi Troy and Mia!

Okay. Ecclesiastes 3:11.  This is really getting far afield from what I consider formal Scripture, but let's persevere.  For the sake of meeting Mr. Ross' thesis on its own terms, I'll start with the supposition that Ecclesiastes is scriptural, the word of God.

3:11 reads

He hath made everything beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

In HIS time.  The fact that the "his" is lower case would suggest that it refers to the "everything" rather than to God.  Which would imply a strictly masculine nature to "everything". Not an uninteresting theory (if true): that the masculine "everything" was made by God and everything feminine or neuter wasn't actually made by God but, rather, occurred as implications of the masculine "everything".  I can't think of an analogous assertion in scripture.

If the lower case is a typographical error and does refer to God, it would seem an awkward construction to me:  Can an omnipresent being be said, accurately, to have a "time"?  ALL time is GOD's time, presumably.

"He hath set the world in their heart so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end."  Again, not an uninteresting theory, if by "the world" we're technically talking about the YHWH.  There is, at least, an arguable internal logic to the verse, first drawing a distinction between the "everything beautiful" being masculine (compelling the inference that the feminine and the neuter came into existence by some other means than being "made" by God) and then suggesting that the feminine and the neuter -- as expressed by the incarnation of the YHWH -- are, by nature, impediments.  Not only external to God's creation, but designed to inhibit and prevent understanding of that creation. 

It also seems a strange -- and specific -- citation for Mr. Ross to use, suggesting as it does that "no man can find out the work that God maketh" when that's exactly what Mr. Ross is endeavouring to do:  to find out, identify and document what he sees as the irrefutable science behind Genesis. 

Of course this is also the chapter that begins with what became, slightly modified, in my boyhood, the lyrics to "Turn, Turn, Turn".  The Byrds?  I forget. I think it was The Byrds, though.  "To every thing [interpolated: there is] a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven."  Followed by a lengthy list of dichotomous "things".  "A time to [Hebrew: bear KJV: to be born…

[I'm making an exception here in citing the Hebrew AND KJV versions.  It seems to me a "bridge too far" to be commenting on non-scripture AND citing the KJV translators improvisations:  so for the rest of Ecclesiastes 3, I'll stick strictly to the original Hebrew terminology]

... and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted".  Interesting dichotomies:  "kill/heal"; "break down/build up"; "weep/laugh"; "mourn/dance" (!); "cast away stones/gather stones together"; "embrace/be far from embracing"; "get (or seek)/lose"; "keep/cast away"; "rent/sow"; "keep silence/speak"; "love/hate"; "war/peace". 

A time to love and a time to hate?  It's hard for me to imagine any good time to "hate".   Even harder for me to see such an assertion as scriptural. 

"What profit hath he that worketh, in that wherein he laboureth?"

I think I understand the question (assuming it isn't purely rhetorical: hardly a safe assumption given the tone of the rest of the chapter).  I guess my answer would be that work itself provides the profit from that work.  It's always easy to slip into the (as I see it) self-deluding idea that we're working towards something in our worldly works.  Work itself tends to be "goal oriented" in the sense that we want to accomplish smaller tasks and larger tasks and still larger tasks and that eventually we will "Get There" and we have a vague or specific mental image of what "There" is or will be.  In my own, personal, experience there isn't really a "There" apart from getting something done.  In my case a 26-year, 6,000 page graphic novel.  My mental image, while I was producing it, was of something that would be celebrated and materially successful.  Which it is, but on a very, very, very small scale.  Having made something exactly as I thought it needed to be made, I've ended up with a very small audience with a work that is almost completely unknown and far more widely reviled than admired. 

But, it is what it is. 

In retrospect I think I can see more clearly what I was actually doing and that it was inevitable that it would end up the way it ended up.  And I can also see that its inherent value was AS hard work.  Period.  My intention for it -- at least judging by the eleven years since it was finished -- proved meaningless -- less than meaningless -- but the hard work I put into it proved, it seems to me, to be the sum total of its value.  Which is why I continue to work hard -- even harder than I did then -- because it seems to me that that's how you find favour in the sight of God:  by keeping strictly to worship of God and religious observance, being 100% or as close to 100% reliable as you can get, and in between worship of God and religious observance by working as hard as you can work at whatever you're working at. 

I could make a persuasive argument that there is greater value to different kinds of work -- that trying to document Comic Art Metaphysics as accurately as I can in excruciating visual detail is valuable work: valuable in the sight of God -- but I have also become aware that most perceptions attached to work amount to self-mythologizing:  magnifying potential importance in order to maintain motivation.  In my heart of hearts and my mind of minds, though, I'm fully aware that as long as I was -- and am -- putting in thirteen hours a day six days a week, I could probably be as fruitfully shovelling manure.  Perhaps even more so since the capacity for self-mythologizing is less possible in the latter instance, so the work becomes a purer form of itself. 

As with everything else, I think it comes down to innermost motivation.  Choosing work instead of sloth seems to me a good choice, both as a general life choice and as the best minute-to-minute, second-to-second decision.  Don't slack off.  Work.  And I see inherent value in that as a straight-line-cradle-to-the-grave policy. I hope I can maintain it, although my body does, at least, seem to be falling apart.

So, to me, "IN THAT wherein he laboureth" is the pertinent element of the question.  Work AS work has merit.  Work with the idea that it is getting you somewhere I think doesn't have merit and is, in fact, a vice.  Ultimately, everything that is work is physically incarnated and everything physically incarnated is ultimately dust. Dust to dust.  Ashes to ashes.

I have seen the travail which God hath given to the sons of men, to be exercised by it. 

Of course, there are two different interpretations of "travail" -- one is "work" and the other is "trouble" -- as there are two different interpretations of "exercised" -- one is "physical work-out" and the other is "self-troubling". 

Mr. Ross' selected verse follows with these observations following it:

I know that no good in them, but for to rejoice, and to do good in his life.  And also that every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labour:  it  the gift of God. 

I agree that a man needs to do good in his life, as best he can conceive of that in terms of being charitable and agreeable and helpful, personally.  "Rejoice", I have a certain amount of trouble with.  Isn't it better that I use any time that I might allocate for "rejoicing" for doing more work and doing more good?  I'm not a great one for "victory laps".  Sometimes I think I've gotten pretty close to Right in what I'm doing but I think it's a safe assumption that I'm probably wrong and that I'm only going to make my situation worse by celebrating being "Right" instead of just ploughing right back into doing everything wrong but with right intent. 

Eat and drink? At a minimum for sustenance.  I can see that but not much beyond that.  "Enjoy" is just not in my nature.  Satisfying moments delivered by God.  I'm deeply appreciative of those because they're always unexpected and I always assume that each one is the last one I'm getting.  It seems a much healthier way to live:  I'm basically shovelling manure from now until I fall over and die so that's really all I'm anticipating.  Something happens every few weeks or every few months that isn't that? Well, hey, Bonus!  And then, immediately, back to shovelling manure.

I know that whatsoever God doeth, it shall be forever: nothing can be put to it, nor anything taken from it: and God doth it, that men should fear before Him.

I think only God could definitively make those statements.  From a man, they're just interesting opinions. 

That which hath been, is now: and that which is to be, hath already been, and  God requireth that which is driven away

The first half of the verse, in light of our modern scientific understanding of the fourth dimension, time, seems more like the kind of citation that Mr. Ross should be looking for.  I find it, personally, critically important to be aware that everything that will happen has already happened in a fourth-dimensional sense. My life of shovelling manure non-stop between here and the grave has already taken place.  Either I managed to do that, or I didn't.  MY job, as I see it, is to cleave as strictly as possible to my intended path: to make it match my intention and not to slack off or backslide or allow myself to be corrupted.  "God requireth that which is driven away".  I think that presents the problem for men (and women) of being careful of what they drive away.  Not throwing out the baby with the bathwater requires being able to discern which is which:  what in your life is the baby and what in your life is the bathwater.  No easy task, I don't think.

And moreover, I saw under the sun the place of judgement, wickedness  there; and the place of righteousness, iniquity there. 

If the author of Ecclesiastes is a prophet then I assume that we could take these as scriptural gospel.  If not, a great deal would depend on who the author is, what he saw, the circumstances under which he saw it and whether he has drawn the correct inferences.  In Ezekiel or John's Apocalypse, there is usually an angel or other incarnated being who says, "Behold, under the sun, the place of judgement, wickedness there and the place of righteousness, iniquity there."  Ezekiel and John both infer, as well, personally, elsewhere in their books, but you can usually tell human inference from Revelation in that way:  if its infallible doctrine, an angel will be the one who imparts it or it will be directly attributed to God.

This, to me, reads as pure human inference:

I said in my heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for a time there, for every purpose and for every work.  I said in my heart, concerning the estate of the sons of men that they might clear God and see that they themselves are beasts. For that which befalleth the sons of men, befalleth beasts, even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other: yea, they have all one breath, so that a man hath no prominence above a beast; for all is vanity.  All go unto one place, all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

I definitely try not to get above my place -- as I understand it these days -- but even in my own severely limited self-perception I have to say that I've never yet seen any beast shovel manure.  I think that animals basically "enact" with very little in the way of free will.  Yes, like beasts, we die, but while we're alive we have a much wider spectrum of free will choices to pick from, assessments that we need to make, choices we need to choose or not choose and consequences we have to live with.  To me, that separates us, dramatically, from the beasts.  The odds are probably pretty good that "all is vanity" -- that is, all is "in vain" -- but that's up to us.  At the end of the day, none of us will be able to say that we didn't have choices and that we didn't make those choices ourselves.  If you consciously choose vanity and vanities then you won't have much to complain of when you are made to suffer the consequences of that.  "You knew that that thing that you worked to be able to buy was dust, so why didn't you put your time and energies elsewhere? Why actively choose vanity when there's a wide spectrum of non-vain choices? Or, at least, choices that you yourself deem to be non-vain or less vain?" 

We do all return to the dust, but only physically.  There's something there, in man and in beast, a light that goes out at the point of death.  And then we can see only what that man or that beast WASN'T: the inert, "physically left-over" mass.  If that was what they were, they would still be it.

Who knoweth the spirit of the sons of man that is ascending, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?  Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works: for that is his portion; for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?

Ecclesiastes is traditionally attributed to Solomon and this certainly reads like a rationale for creating an ostentatious abattoir of a temple with your name on it.  

My question would be:  how do YOU know that the spirit of the sons of man IS ascending OR that the spirit of the beast "goeth downward to the earth"?  In answer to the question: Who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?, as a monotheist, I think John's Apocalypse is the definitive answer to that question.  This is what the End Times of this epoch are going to be like.  I, as a man, have a very limited ability to understand what is being described there, but it does, for me, keep everything in perspective.  All I can do is what I think is right and not do what I think is wrong in the hopes that my life and my spirit and all of my actions find themselves on the right side of the ledger:  not in support of the Beast or Satan or the Harlot but in support of God.

That, I see as my job, my works. 

Next week, God willing:  Habakkuk 3:3!

Best,

Dave
____________________________________________________________________________
Next Time: Girls! Girls! Girls!-Past Matt

27 comments:

Tony Dunlop said...

"Formal Scripture?" Oy.

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, FORTY-EIGHT uses of the word "I" in this entry. Just remember, it's always all about Dave.

David Johnson said...

Part 1

Peace.

"Tl;dr stands for "too long; didn't read." While the internet acronym can criticize a piece of writing as overly long, it often is used to give a helpful, witty, or snarky summary of a much longer story or complicated phenomenon."

May 15, 2018
What Does TL;DR Mean? | Acronyms by Dictionary.com
https://www.dictionary.com/e/acronyms/tldr/

Matt, I have faith that your use of TL:DR for Dave's commentary posts, and as you said before to me in your reply on the AMOC Mailbag to my letter to you, when saying that it was your idea to contact Dave to post them every Sunday, that you too have a happy reason for why you use TL:DR. May we please know what it is? Also, in one of your early posts of these TL:DRs, when Dave was commenting on John's gospel, you titled one something like, "Zzzzzz Another Commentary From Dave." In what happy way did you mean that? I'm not mocking but really asking in truth.

Also, what were your reasons for asking Dave to supply them? I apologized for it here as I said recently, for before that recently I'd written Dave saying that others and you'd only done so to make fun of God and him. But now, I'm really asking you to show your true loving reasons for doing so. As to the other questions that you asked me in your reply to me in that Mailbag, now that I've showed you how I was right about some of what I said, your answer now is to tell others that not answering me is the right thing to do. How so?

Thanks for the reply Jeff in the last post's comments section. I thought I heard Dave Sim or others say somewhere before that you were a Christian, and one who has before regularly written Dave about Jesus in relation to Dave's views on God, and you both had what I heard was a regular similar Paul and Greek like debate between his wisdom and your expounding upon the gospels. If this wasn't you, I thank the Lord for whoever did so.

As to every reply you've shared regarding my comments, if that was you in the past with Dave discussing Christ, with me and what I've seen on here and on every commentary that I've seen you comment on, you haven't mentioned the name of Jesus or supported me in Christ while others said bad things about him and I and other Christians, and you haven't corrected anything in my sharing of the gospel if you thought it was wrong. You've discouraged the builders as it's written in scriptures. Didn't you go to Mr. Orwell's school who was the pastor? If I'm wrong about you being a Christian, then ok, but if not, you haven't done what you were suppose to. In Christ there's a judgement for that, but if one in that situation does right, then they'll be rewarded Jesus says.

You say that you figured out it was me and good, but you know that some others didn't dislike Hazel, as they do me. If you want to say I was lying, ok, but you know what I mean. You also say it's your work thinking that I'm crazy. I don't know what BF means. I once stayed in a shelter once where everyone had to see a psychiatrist. I asked him if I was crazy because people like you had called me crazy before. He saw samples of my writing too and more that the councilor gave him.

He said no, but said that I did use analytical thinking by choice and wrote long letters, which he said I needed to learn some simple sentence structure to fix. He said I had a strong core and was religious. He told me to stop worrying that I'd thought that Jesus had cut me off, because scripturally my condition didn't match what scriptures I used to ask him if he thought according to them I had (He didn't believe in God he said).

David Johnson said...

Part 2

He said as long as I kept trying to live on my thinking of Jesus' faith and works, and stopped trying to obtain forgiveness by works ("Because you've already obtained it by Jesus' sacrifice, haven't you?," he asked.), that I'd be ok. He also told me to accept God's correction in my thinking but not damnation. I did all these things and was healed. He did suggest I take some medicine to calm myself, but said I didn't need it. If I'm still crazy in your thinking, then please give others and me some more description of this.

Also I know you've done it before. What's your description psychologically of your own self? But, I want to add, that your basing your profession I think off of a lot of Freud's past works on the subject. What did Dave say that he thought about him? You heard Dave say that I was important to him and such for past things. Are you saying Dave's a liar? You said he has a unique way of thinking according to your profession, but therefore would a person like that be wrong about me? He did confess that I wrote long and made mistakes, or are you saying that Dave's fooled by me the crazy person? If so, have you told Dave this yet to help him? You signed an oath didn't you in your profession to help people.

In that Hippocratic oath or such, you also swore to all the gods to uphold it. How many gods are there? Doesn't Dave only believe in the one that there is? I do. Don't you think it's clinically crazy to sign an oath like that? Isn't it lying? One may say, it's just respecting everyones religion. No, it's idol worship. Have you asked Dave's opinions on all of that? I've done you no wrong. I'm only asking. You like mocking. Will you speak the truth now? Are you now mad? Does your own code and past schooling not teach people like you not to mock others, but build them up?

How can anyone or I believe your diagnosis of me or anything if you can't obey your own rules? I've been long suffering with you in the past. According to how you keep treating me, how is it wrong now for me to say and ask you what I do? People like you have chased David Birdsong away from here to posting anything hardly about Jesus. As he said recently here, he hardly does so anywhere because also people usually don't like it. It's written the righteous will suffer persecution for Jesus' sake. I keep worrying that David may not do the art for my Blood Rose or Cerebus solo issue based on these things, or because I mention him here now but I have faith he will, and also because I'm obeying Jesus's word to build him up. Why so?

In part I'll say, Matt, you awhile back had Steve Peters week. Is not Steve's relation to Dave largely based on their past back and forth debating of God? Did you not help on the Steve Peters Versus Dave Sim like story, with another from here? Do not most of you also like Brian Coppola, Carson Grubaugh, and Gerhard's Take On Me versus of Dave Sim and God? Was not in a fashion Matt your week of Steve and one day of the Space interview with Dave and Steve, anything different than me suggesting to Dave and David that we do a once in four years issue of CIH? or a solo issue by David and I, where it's also only about God? Will you give us at least one day too and post it if he and I do it? Or, will you ignore it and this in a fashion as you've already said you would ignore me from now on?

David Johnson said...

Part 3

I'm not speaking for David at all, but I noticed on past comments for other posts here on AMOC and on some past commentary posts, he himself deleted some of his comments. I don't know if that had to do with some of you railing on him or anything he may have said about God, but you see the points that I'm making. Most of you've made a choice to not choose God or Dave's choice of choosing God. Dave, others, and I have chose God and that's our choice. As far as all of you are concerned, it's a part of Dave and Cerebus. If you don't like that, then be hot or cold. Don't be lukewarm or God will spit you out. You can have pre God Dave and Cerebus or post, but you can't have in-between, while accepting the one off hand while magnifying the other. You have to choose that God's now a part of them or not.

I confess to all of you and you Jeff that sometimes I fall, but don't stumble. It's written a righteous man will fall seven times, but God picks him up again. I've confessed my faults to all of you. Thank you for your thanks. Please return my love and do the first works again of Jesus, or call on him if you don't know him and be saved.

Matt, you know that's wrong what you said in the other post about ignoring one such as me as being the wise choice, but you've made your choice. Yes, it's written in scriptures to not answer a fool, but you know I'm not a fool. I have caught some of you by using guile as Paul did, but only to see the truth more so in those, which all of you saw did present some better results on my behalf. You've commented often on long threads before about Ethan Van Sciver, Comicsgate, and more gossip, and all in love I confess of defending Dave and others, but it's still gossip and you're guilty of what you rightfully corrected me on, when saying I put way to much into Dave's petition. Dave's talks with you in the past on the phone started out at like ten minutes, and in the recent past he was hardly using his bad hand and staying closer to God.

Now, he's often using it, talking to you over an hour, and worried CIH? is a large part of if or if not he gets to eat every night. One thing is needful. In 2003 that interview with Steve Peters was all about God. Yesterday God almost wasn't mentioned on the live kickstarter. One thing's needful. Yes, Dave will still talk about God and serves him daily very much, but sharing the gospel is a commission of Jesus. I've encouraged him to do that by sharing only the cross. He's told me and others he believes that he's doing that already as he explained to you in your last phone conversation.

He also said yesterday to me (Hazel) that he believes that doing and keeping Cerebus and CIH? now and in the future through others once he's gone, is fulfilling God's desire. The scriptures don't say that. He's made his choice. I pray and have faith he'll change. I'm not as he asked, continuing to ask him to believe as I do, but comforting him to do as it's written.

Maria I think was her name, at the Space show asking good questions. She was right. It's written that the gathering together of believers is something Christians shouldn't neglect. She kind of explained in what I think one could call looking at many reviews of the same thing (scriptures in this case), and if most everyone comes out with the same conclusion under the rules of inference or such, then logic even says that's the truth. But she was saying in her own way, that Dave was using his own thinking which doesn't match any known other past thinking on those scriptures. Her conclusion was nicely asking Dave I think in a way, How can you a smart person think those things you think are true, when your own logic's even against you, which would say Dave had to be wrong? Dave said he'd made his choice.

David Johnson said...

Part 4

That Space event was almost like having church. What I'm doing here's more like Paul debating daily in the school of one Tyranus or such, where many opposed him but some were saved. That's my prayer for all who I speak too about Jesus.

Hazelelponi's the name of my favorite girl name in the Bible. In Hebrew it's Teslaponee and means shade-faced, and points to Jesus' righteousness (the tes is the Hebrew letter tzadiq which means that) comforting us (the la is lamed which means God's rod).

As to Carson and the rest, I'll add that in my one letter to Dave about the three of them and their story, Dave replied back to me that they did have the right to do their own Cerebus related story, but agreed that it looked like Brian's approach was acidic, but that wasn't a new thing to Dave Dave said. But, like Jesus said a second time: "Have I not told you here I am?"

Concerning the 20 pg. letters I wrote David Birdsong, Matt Dow, and Dave Sim, let me say that now it's 20 pages each huh and not 18? I wrote Dave's on Office Word using the pg. count feature. It was 13 pages. When I sent it with the cover page, it said it was 18 pages. I don't know what that meant, if it added advertisements for the free trial fax service I used (Not faxzero that time, but it worked well) or what. I know that Matt's letter was long and I believe his 18pg statement. I don't know about David Birdsong's, but overall I sent as I said here before as Hazel, the most of all.

Someone recently said somewhere here, that none of those three asked me to send them 20pg. letters. True, but it's ok to mail them, but yes I mailed them too much and I said I wouldn't again and since haven't. I don't think this three part or more reply is too long to make my point. Is it longer than this commentary which Dave makes his point about God? Does Hebrews not take 45 minutes about to read, and is it not the author's point to the Hebrews? It's a choice as long as I don't say too much with words. Most of you here choose to comment in less words. That doesn't mean I'm more or less than you.

David Johnson said...

Part 5 of 5

David Birdsong, that new art is good. Which one is that? I didn't even see Cerebus at first but had to look for him. It reminds me of some of the things I talked to you about in my notes for my Quantum Leap like Cerebus leaping into and out of scriptures. That art kind of reminds me of a path leading to the gates of Eden, where it would be the good Cerebus I talked about and not the one we knew.

Now watch everyone. I have faith that David will reply back here to me with a short reply answering my question to him. He'll not and needs not, unless he thinks it's needful, reply about anything else I've said here. I know he'll not mock but nicely talk. It doesn't mean that he endorses me or anything. He's only being like one should. Neither will he think that even now I'm using his reply to get an answer to him to prove my points. He'll simply reply out of the love of his heart because God has put it there. Jesus bless you David and all that are in Christ.


"Can an omnipresent being be said, accurately, to have a "time"? ALL time is GOD's time, presumably."


This reminds me of the line from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The teacher saying I think to the main character and student, "You're wasting my time!", and the student replies, "Isn't it our time?" A good question, but the student was being bad in what he did, but so was the teacher in taking his pizza that he'd ordered which the pizza man delivered, and eating it with some of the other students. Spiritually I'm saying that it's our time to serve God in the flesh by his Spirit, with that time being a gift from God. I'm surprised that Dave starts off doubting this chapter. I'd thought it only mentioning God would mean he'd like it.

Dave mentions rejoicing and works. I rejoice he knows God, but I pray that all know Jesus too by faith with our works through his death on the cross. By the blood of the lamb and our testimonies we enter into that everlasting life he speaks of.

The only reason I'm back here on AMOC again is to answer for myself. Once I see that I've done that, as I said before I'll leave because I see there isn't any point in talking to most of you outside those I've already mentioned, and that from now on I'll do in private. David Birdsong if you're reading this, I no longer have an email but you can use the address I sent you.

Tony again said...

OK, above we have a perfect illustration of "tl;dr."

Jeff said...

OOOOOOOOOOKAY!

That was a truly fascinating rabbit hole down which to go. Truly. It has made the down times of karaoke tonight go a little bit faster.

Before I got into TL;DR territory (and, really, all y'all should read the above 5 parts, mouths slowly getting more and more agape.

I going to try to reply only to his comments about me, but...man.

Okay, first: (Matt? the gSheerluck Holmes three-pager? Image?) DJ? Look up the aforementioned Epig Mag story in order to understand what BF means.

Okay. Now. (sigh) Here we go:

Jeff said...

First, DJ, I am, like Dave, a monotheist. I believe in the one, true God of Abraham, as does Dave Sim. I believe that Jesus was a great (GREAT) prophet, but not the son of God.

If you think that I have been unsupportive of Dave and his religious views, then you REALLY, really, REALLY haven't been paying attention.

Really.

You ask me if I went to Mr. Orwell's school. Do you mean George Orwell? That's the only reference I can think of, but I have no idea to what you're referring. If you mean "1984", well, obliquely, it strikes a chord, but, really, not so much.



Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

Dave saying, "I definitely try not to get above my place" as he denies Ecclesiastes is scripture is the biggest laugh this week.

I seem to recall Jeff S. saying that he attended Oral Roberts University. Oral = Orwell? Could be an aural typo.

David J. is ... quite a case, isn't he?

-- Damian

Jeff said...

DJ, I knew that the green-brown-eyed equine was you, from day one. You are, in my opinion, unfortunately, either demented or mentally ill. You suffer, I guess (having never met you) from, I think logophilia, a condition from which those who suffer cannot stop talking (or, nowadays, posting).

I don't know you, despite your saying that we have met, but I don't dislike you. I just think that your psychologist/psychiatrist should pay more attention.

Being able to type lots of words in (mostly) sequential order does not mean that they make sense, over all.

For example:

Jeff said...

Um, no, Damian; he's a load. But, I'm going to continue answering his typing to or about me.

DJ? Here we go:

You can seem to be a bass that really likes cars when the weather where you reside is not pink. Also, I think that you seem to know Dave Sim in the same way that paint knows Jesus.

Speaking of Jesus, some of the things that you wrote about him ring true, but then you wrote a whole lotta BF crazy stuff.

Tomorrow, Jesus is going to make the sun shine on Oslo, because, every day, Jesus picks a new (different, unless he decides not to) city for the sun to shine on.

Jesus, DJ/Hazel, was a prophet. A great one. But NOT the son of God. IMHO.

Matt and I may be burning in hell together, though, I freely admit.

Jeff said...

Matt, I hope that we can still be friends in the Eternal Realm.

OOOOOOH! I think that Marvel is putting out an "Eternals" movie soon.

Eternally yours,

Jeff

Tony again said...

"Hubris:" (n.) Thinking one can capture a Jack Kirby comic in cinema.

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

David Johnson 1: "Matt, I have faith that your use of TL:DR for Dave's commentary posts, and as you said before to me in your reply on the AMOC Mailbag to my letter to you, when saying that it was your idea to contact Dave to post them every Sunday, that you too have a happy reason for why you use TL:DR. May we please know what it is?" Dave used it on the first religious commentary he send me.

"Also, in one of your early posts of these TL:DRs, when Dave was commenting on John's gospel, you titled one something like, "Zzzzzz Another Commentary From Dave." In what happy way did you mean that?" If you've read ALL of these Sunday posts, and ALL the comments on them, you (well, maybe not YOU, but the average reader,) might have noticed that the reception from the AMOC readership has been "unkind" to say the least. I'm pretty sure what you're misquoting was a "Next Time:" from a Saturday post. All the "Next Time:"s are jokes. I'm going for a laugh. And, I write the Sunday posts in big marathon stretches a few dozen at a time. Hence why Sunday "Next Times:" almost never reflect what I actually post on a Monday.

"Also, what were your reasons for asking Dave to supply them?" Back in the day, Dave ran his commentaries on Mark(? or was it Matthew?) on Sundays on the Blog and Mail. I know he continued writing them, and asked if I could run unpublished commentaries. I find Dave's Torah commentaries from Latter Days fascinating, but have trouble following his New Testament ones because there is a gap of unpublished commentaries from the old to new testaments. I still find his views fascinating, and thought others might appreciate reading more too. I may have been wrong.

Matt Dow

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

David Johnson 2: "In part I'll say, Matt, you awhile back had Steve Peters week. Is not Steve's relation to Dave largely based on their past back and forth debating of God? Did you not help on the Steve Peters Versus Dave Sim like story, with another from here?" Steve Peters Week was because Steve's a pal, who had a Kickstarter, and as a creator who has an association Dave and Cerebus (the first thing Dave drew after Cerebus ended was a jam with Steve), flogging his KS on AMOC seemed like a way to help a pal fund his KS while "feeding the beast" (Dave's term for running a daily blog,) at the same time.

I did NOT help on Steve's "Me VS Dave Sim" story, that was all done by Steve. I DID have a story and a couple ads I drew in Jeff Seiler's Cerebus Readers in Crisis #4, where Steve's story appeared, but Steve and I, and the other contributors, didn't work together.

"Was not in a fashion Matt your week of Steve and one day of the Space interview with Dave and Steve, anything different than me suggesting to Dave and David that we do a once in four years issue of CIH? or a solo issue by David and I, where it's also only about God?" Yes. It is different. Steve Peters Week, which I believe actually ran for 8 days, was me helping out a pal. I even got Ben Hobbs, Margaret, and Dave to do Steve Peters content for their posts that week (granted, Dave's was mostly a subliminal ad during the Weekly Update,). You wanting to do whatever the hell it is you wanna do, is different than my running Cerebus/Dave Sim/Gerhard related content that also involved Steve Peters. I'm not in charge of Dave, David Birdsong, or anybody else. My mandate is Cerebus/Dave Sim/Gerhard related content delivered 4 and a half days a week (Ben Hobbs does Wednesdays, Margaret Liss does Thursdays, and Dave Sim does a video I have to get off YouTube on Fridays. Saturday thru Tuesday is my responsibility. I do have to assemble the Friday posts for a video Dave puts on YouTube, and I decided to run Dave's scripture commentaries on Sundays, and have to assemble those, which is why I say 4 and a half days.) If you got Cerebus/Dave Sim/Gerhard related content you'd like me to take a look at, I will. And if I thought it fit on AMOC, I'd run it. But, I'm not now, nor would I ever be obligated to.

"will you ignore it and this in a fashion as you've already said you would ignore me from now on?" What I did was quote a wise man who quoted the film War Games. And he was right, the only winning move is not to play. I can't convince you of anything, and you won't convince me. So it's a constant stalemate.

Matt Dow

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

David Johnson 3: "I'm not speaking for David at all, but I noticed on past comments for other posts here on AMOC and on some past commentary posts, he himself deleted some of his comments." David Birdsong has deleted comments when he thought he was being a dick. He's also given himself weeklong "bans" where he won't post.

"You can have pre God Dave and Cerebus or post, but you can't have in-between," what? That doesn't make any sense...

"while accepting the one off hand while magnifying the other. You have to choose that God's now a part of them or not." Nobody is denying that Dave made his belief in God a part of Cerebus. But, that's not ALL there is to the series. It's a part,but not the only part.

Matt Dow

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

David Johnson 3 cont: "Matt, you know that's wrong what you said in the other post about ignoring one such as me as being the wise choice," Yeah, bullshit. Not engaging you IS the wisest choice. "Strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

"but you've made your choice. Yes, it's written in scriptures to not answer a fool, but you know I'm not a fool." Ya coulda fooled me...

"I have caught some of you by using guile as Paul did," No, you gaslight us. And not very well, a number of people said Hazel is David. I admit I gave "Hazel" the benefit of the doubt. But that's because I didn't think anybody would REALLY gaslight people on a blog devoted to a comic that ended 15 years ago.

"You've commented often on long threads before about Ethan Van Sciver, Comicsgate, and more gossip, and all in love I confess of defending Dave and others, but it's still gossip and you're guilty of what you rightfully corrected me on, when saying I put way to much into Dave's petition." Yep, I've commented up a storm on SOME stuff. And kept deadly quiet on others. Mostly based on how much of my life I've wanted to devote to AMOC. Tim, our esteemed Editor Emeritus, told me he didn't really worry about the comment section. I tend to try to follow his advice, and then fail miserably, like now...

"Dave's talks with you in the past on the phone started out at like ten minutes, and in the recent past he was hardly using his bad hand and staying closer to God." Wait for it...

"Now, he's often using it, talking to you over an hour, and worried CIH? is a large part of if or if not he gets to eat every night." That...that was a joke. Ya get what a joke is, right? As to using his hand, Dave has made his living off his hand for over 40years. If he wants to use it, now that 40 years of drawing has worn it out (especially drawing that was "above his weight class",), that's still DAVE'S decision. (You REALLY think Dave ISN'T going to jump a doing a Neal Adams parody?) Same with how long we talk. Dave sets the clock, and HE calls me.

"In 2003 that interview with Steve Peters was all about God. Yesterday God almost wasn't mentioned on the live kickstarter." The panel from SPACE with Steve was called "God and Spirituality" so, OF COURSE it was all about God.

You're main complaint is that Dave isn't "sharing the gospel" which you believe is "a commission of Jesus." But Dave said in 2008 in a Blog&Mail post that he doesn't agree with your views on being Evangelical.

Matt Dow

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

David Johnson 3 cont.

Sorry, 2007: Dave Sim from the Blog&Mail #380: "Well, yes and as long as we're on the subject, it would seem to me very strange for anyone to try to promote my views as being exclusively Judaic or Christian or Islamic."

Matt Dow

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

David Johnson 4: "Concerning the 20 pg. letters I wrote David Birdsong, Matt Dow, and Dave Sim, let me say that now it's 20 pages each huh and not 18?" DAVE said 18 pages. I went with his number, but also said that the email I got was long. But hey, we're all changing the details, must mean we're lying, right "Hazel"?

David Johnson 5: I don't think any of this one concerns me. I had a thought on part of it, but I've reread that part 4 times, and can't see what I thought I wanted to comment on.

Tony: oh, you should have. I did, twice.

Jeff 1: "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" Anything Goes #3. NOT an Epic story.

Jeff 2: I concur with Damian, I think David J. Meant Oral Roberts, not Orwell.

Jeff 3: sorry ol' buddy, but you REALLY shouldn't try to diagnose somebody over comments on the web. You know better.

Jeff 4: I'm not going to burn in hell. I'm going to visit Hell for a day. Then Jesus is going to pick me up in a red VW microbus after I've seen the sights and had lunch.

Jeff 5: did you mean infernal realm?

Matt Dow

Jeff said...

Matt: 1) Yup. Not Epic. My bad.

2) Yeah, prolly. I was thrown by DJ misusing the founder's first name.

3) Well, it wasn't an official diagnosis. I haven't done that in...um...carry the one, multiply by 1.3, um...an assload of years.

4) You always know how to make me laugh, my friend!

5) I meant both. Free plug for your "eternal" enemy's company. ;)

David Johnson said...

David Birdsong, peace. Jesus is already answering my prayer. I did not know that Gustave Dore did many Bible drawings, and some or more of the scenes I drew for you. I include a few here (Not on AMOC) as attachments. Thank you for accidentally helping me know this. I am going to copy and paste this message also on the newest AMOC commentary, and on the five part comment post I commented on, only in case you will see it there first before here, but I am not going back there (AMOC) in the future, and this or by mail is the way to reach me. I promise you I will not message you again unless you want me to, but I hope you get back to me. Thanks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Dor%C3%A9%27s_illustrations_for_La_Grande_Bible_de_Tours

I see you did not answer me here on the Dore drawing you used for the commentary on this post, like I said you would. To the rest of you that have therefore said, I was wrong about David B., I still will not cast away my integrity and have faith that he will get back to me in private. As for the many comments you all else left above, I have read none of them seeing the rest of you do not care about what I said in Christ. I do think it is funny though that Carson Grubaugh said before elsewhere here to Hazel Poni, that if I personally asked him about what I said as she, that then he would answer me. You all see he has not. As it is written in scriptures, one can not gainsay the truth.

I have sent Dave Sim my last letter to him also, which was short and told him that I think that my letters were only hurting him. I said I now understand that his choice for spreading God's gospel, is doing dark humor about feminism for CIH?. I do not agree with that. Now, all of you can get back to that.

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

David Johnson: "As for the many comments you all else left above, I have read none of them seeing the rest of you do not care about what I said in Christ." So, what? Piss on us for taking the time to respond? That's kind of a Dick Move...

"I do think it is funny though that Carson Grubaugh said before elsewhere here to Hazel Poni, that if I personally asked him about what I said as she, that then he would answer me. You all see he has not. As it is written in scriptures, one can not gainsay the truth." Or, he DID write a response, found out you were gaslighting us, and decided he didn't want to deal with your BS. Who knows? It could be what happened...
(I know. I know that that is what happened.)

Matt Dow
(I'd say, "Goodbye and good luck", but since you're never gonna read this...)

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

I think that David J. has fundamentally misunderstood this blog. It's not a vehicle for proselytizing Christianity, as he seems to want it to be. It's a vehicle for proselytizing Cerebus and its author. Even Dave's Sunday meanderings are interesting less for their theological content (if any) than for their insights into Dave's mind. David might be happier if he sticks with his (repeated) vow to avoid AMoC from now on, rather than trying to change it into something it's not.

-- Damian

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

And this folks is why I'll never ban Damian.

He may be a pain at times, but then he goes and says what I think much nicer than I'll ever be able to say it.

Matt

Jeff said...

Even about me, Matt?

(If you ever wanted a freebie, Matt, this is it.)