Friday 7 June 2019

Dave's birthday wrap (Dave's Weekly Update #290)

Hi, Everybody!

Heeeeeere's Dave: 


Problems viewing this video? Watch directly on YouTube...


The remastered Volume 1 is available digitally for $9.99.

If you want to look like Dave (you're sick, I mean, trying not to be judgey, but come on...) Uh, I mean, if you want a T-SHIRT like Dave's (and mine, I wear mine every month when I Please Hold For Dave Sim,) you can buy one right here. Or, if you're one of those nostalgia buffs who likes the earlier funnier A Moment Of Cerebus posts, the Tim W. Logo is available too. (Word of warning, Your Pal, and Mine: Sean Robinson told me that that image wasn't designed for printing, and it's gonna have a moire, and Boy-Howdy, he was right. If ever I put the NEW logo on something, it'll look ten times as classy...)
Designed for printing, by Superman's Frenemy: David Birdsong. Click for bigger

In case you forgot what my Card to Dave looked like:


Watch this in panel four. And, yes, I messed up the lyrics, but uh...it was on purpose. Yeah, that's the ticket, I messed 'em up, because, because...I didn't want to get sued! That's right, I didn't want to get sued. We live in an overly litigious society,  and I figured the copyright holder to the Speed Racer Theme song patrols sites like this looking for blatant copyright violations. Yeah, that's what happened. Sure it is. I was worried about getting sued. It wasn't that my friend called as I was working on the card and I can't letter while carrying on a conversation, no. Not at all. It's because I didn't want to get sued. Yeah, that's right...

So, the "Oops...", that was because I decided to three hole punch the card and use brass fasteners to hold it together, and didn't think about where the holes were going. So I just added a second BoB. 

I believe it was Mike Battaglia, who has a go fund me here, who asked if Dave was gonna auction off the Please Hold For Dave Sim strips. Well, now you know. He is. Starting with this one:



So, let's just do this like we did with the Green Dante/Green Virgil cover. Post your bid in the comments, and we'll see if Dave can get one percent of what he got for that.

And at Dave's request:
_________________________________________

TMI about this Please Hold Strip:

April? That was back when the kids still had Dance Class. So this was drawn on a clipboard in the waiting area. I may have finished it up at home at the dining room table. My Drawing "table" has been just sitting in the corner of the AMOC Cave (located beneath Stately Dow Manor) collecting dust and judging me. "Hey! You were a display for carpeting when I bought you, and you can go RIGHT BACK TO THE LUMBERYARD, YOU JUDGMENTAL PIECE OF FURNITURE!!!"

Um, as with most Iguana VS Beer (the technical title of their adventures) strips, the idea probably came to me at work.

Beer's "hot chicks" gag is a rip-off of a T-Shirt Hell shirt.

The basic premise to the characters, is that Iguana is a lovable idiot, and Beer is a despicable idiot.

So, Beer will say pretty much anything, and it will be fairly horrible.

Example Beer exchanges:
Hippy: MEAT IS MURDER!
Beer: Yes, yes it is. Does anybody know where I can get some murder, preferably with french fries and a Coke?
Announcer: Gentlemen, choose your weapons!
Iguana: Neutron bombs!
Beer: Time machine and a coat hanger!
I can't remember my psychology class from twenty some years ago, but I think Beer is all Id(?) I think it's the Id.

Iguana's reaction is pretty much what any rationale person would do, given Beer's statement.

I did fuck up the panel layout, and it bugs me to no end.

Iguana magically gets closer in panel two, and even closer in panel three. Panel four he's farther away, but not as far as he was in panel one. Gah! And now you, (you future owner of this wonderful piece of art, you) see it too. (And you'll never not see it. Especially if you pony up and buy this lil' beauty and hang it in your bathroom.)

I don't particularly like the Iguana in panel one. I like the ones in panels two and three better. When I draw Iguana, I try to picture him as a Muppet, more than as a cartoon. So big round ball with two little balls for the eyes. I actually have printed out instructions to build my own Muppet, so one day...

I mean, it's a neat little five panel gag. It's not the best strip I've ever drawn, but it's not the worst either.
_________________________________________________

Speaking of Please Hold For Dave Sim, Dave and I talked for an hour and nineteen minutes on Thursday, so I'll be editing and uploading that tomorrow. (But it might be all up late. I gotta work, and stuff.) Normally I'd throw up a David Birdsong teaser, but I'm feeling like just showing off THIS month's strip:

Next Time: 

You'll be able to buy THIS one after I mail it to Dave in a few months...

5 comments:

You know who said...

I'm in for 5 bucks.

Jeff said...

Okay: A) Matt? You are too cool for school (but, then, you've known that for, what?, 50 years now?) and 2) Yes. That will happen again, as long as Dave keeps making birthday cards. But, thanks, Dave, for the mention.

Larry Wooten said...

Ten bucks.

Jeff said...

Thirteen, you ess.

Jeff said...

I bit. T-shirt, with red trim, in about 10 days. I hope the funds go to the cause of raising two little urchins.