Tuesday 22 October 2019

Cerebus In Matt's Life: Part the Seventh (The Mugs Saga)

Hi, Everybody!

Vark Thing! (two days left...)
_______________

When last Cerebus was in my life, it was yesterday. I do this every day.

But the last time I did a Cerebus in Matt's Life post, i showed you an Aardvark wang.
Good times, good times...
And now:
Cerebus In Matt's Life: Part the Seventh

If you're like me (you're not, but it's a bit, so go with it...) you read Cerebus #279:
Yeah, that one.
And thought, "I want me one of those coffee mugs!"
Also, "Darrr! Pret-ty Flow-ers!"
So I (wait, didn't I write these in third person? Whatever...) went to a local place that does promotional items with this page from Latter Days:

And asked how much to get it on a coffee mug?

Well, the smallest order I could get was for thirty-six mugs.

I only wanted one, but hey, I had more money than brains, and figured I'd burn that bridge when I got to it...
Here's my proof.
I got the proof, and option 1 looked good, so I ordered it. They sent a second proof of how it would look on the mug, where the mug was white, not black. I responded reminding them that it was white on a black mug. A few weeks later I got a box of mugs. Yay!

They were misprinted.
Seen here holding my forks and spoons.
Boo!

I took one back to the place and explained how they screwed up. And a few weeks later got another box of mugs. Yay!

Also misprinted.
Yeah, it's the same picture. They misprinted them the same way.
So I went back AGAIN, and explained how they screwed up AGAIN. And a few weeks later, GOT MY MUGS!
Sexy.
And they even cut me a deal on the misprinted mugs.

But then I had to burn the "what do I do with the other 35 mugs?" bridge.

So I called up the Aardvark-Vanaheim, and talked to Gerhard, and asked to speak with Dave. I explained the situation, and asked for permission to sell the mugs. Dave said "Sure", and I joined the Cerebus Yahoo Group.

And posted:
Hello,
I've recently gotten permission from Dave Sim to sell
Cerebus "Morning Cup" coffee mugs replicas. The coffee mug was seen
in Latter Days when Cerebus went crazy after reading the Garth
Inncesint interview in the "Reads Journal". Now you too can shuffle
around in a bathrobe and bunny slippers, drinking mug after mug of
hot chocolate while saying, "Darrr pretty flowers. Darrr pretty
sunsets."
The mugs are available for $8.00 U.S. plus shipping charges. Anyone
interested in them can reach me at mouseskull@...
Matt Dow
Zim's Uncle Most Holy
Uh...the "Zim's Uncle Most Holy" thing was a bit with my nephew. Don't worry about it.

I sold a bunch, and sent Dave and Ger each one. And Ger asked me to send one to Margaret, so I did.

And then I had to figure out what to do with the seventy-two misprinted mugs...

Next Time: Hobbs. So, cliffhanger!

4 comments:

whc03grady said...

Cafe Press next time.

Jeff said...

I bought one of each.

I dropped the correct one.

It broke.

I asked for a replacement.

Still waiting.

But, they're both highly functional.

Well, the correct one *was* functional.

Sigh.

Gary Boyarski said...

I would have donated the misprinted mugs to a church and walked away snickering, thinking about Sunday brunches with everyone drinking out of Cerebus mugs.

Mouse Skull Entertainment said...

Grady: this was in 2004. I don't know if cafepress even existed then.

Jeff: I ask for shit all the time. But as the saying goes: pray in one hand, shit in the other...

Gary: Saturday, what I did is Saturday's post.

Matt