Monday 6 April 2020

Please Hold For Dave Sim April 2020, the next part.

Hi, Everybody!

Continuing the Holding For Dave Sim:

The first set of this month's videos.

Part six:
Question from Brian West continued:
My question is how can an individual in a society, which is professed as open and free, hope to have autonomy if his rights as a citizen towards redress are curtailed, even abrogated, by fiat or by an executive order, even in times of public health emergency?

This has been on my mind of late and Ms. Maddox's House Bill seems to have brought that to the fore to me. Thank you for your time.

Here's an alternate question if the first question I offered here seems uninteresting: Who was a better goalie, Fuhr or Hasek?

Glen asks: This question to Dave will likely only interest Canadian readers of "A Moment of Cerebus" like myself. What do you think of Justin Trudeau as Prime Minister?


Part seven:
Questions: David Birdsong asks: Dave, Jesse Lee Herndon mentioned a while back that he thought both Cirin and Suentous Po were both hermaphrodites and I didn't think so because Cirin's interest in Cerebus was quite obsessive until she found out about the "kitchen knife incident". At that point she appeared to keep him under surveillance but did not bother to even kill him. If Suentous Po were also an hermaphrodite wouldn't she have had the same level of interest in him?

Dave Kopperman says: I got one: is there anything that Dave regarded as a creative sacrifice when he went from the issue-by-issue mindset to the serialized novel format? I'd say the shift starts to happen in the middle of High Society but really starts to kick in during the C&S II and then becomes complete with Jaka's Story. Like it's clear that the long-form approach gave him access to some major benefits from a narrative, visual, and formal perspective - but opening a window shuts a door, as it were, so some things that were part of the more discrete issues approach were lost. The individual issue titles, for one, a thing that Dave had a real gift for. So, again: was there anything he regarded as a deficit to making comics in that shift?

Part eight:

The question I sent Dave: And then… David Johnson showed up. At first he used a pseudonym. And…I’m not even sure what his question was (he posted a lot of comments,) but at one point he said:

The Refuge Elf (his pseudonym this time.) said...

Why don't you just shuck the questions this time Matt? Mine too. This is just an idea. It's always the questions and selling Cerebus, but to turn your money quote around for this post, I've always liked your talks about family and things with Dave. Just a fan talking to him.
I think Dave is so like, Ok, it's talk to Matt Dow time now on Thursday at this time for 60 minutes, after prayer time # 3, then after talk with Matt, read Koran, then prayer time # 4, and then... You get it. Why not just surprise him and say, No questions....that's why I didn't fax them Dave...just want to talk to you today and what do you want to talk about?
I think he'll think you mean Cerebus, and might need to be told you're just meaning, No, what do you want to talk about right now? I'm guessing it'll probably be to tell us to pray 5 times a day and to read John in the interlinear. But, if that's it, that's it. I'm not going to read John. Maybe, he'll read it to us. Then, you wouldn't have to humor him by reading it yourself.
Why not go the Lulu Lang route and just ask him how he's doing? I don't have any questions for him. Do you? He seems to like talking about your family. I kind of like the play like parts he suggested you provide for them in a group reading of John or something. That actually sounds interesting. Is it possible for others to ...what is it...party line with you and we could all read John for 60 minutes. Would your wife and kids talk on the other phones in the house?
We'd all have different speaking parts. Is that even possible? What would we do, Skype or something and you'd put the Mic real close to your monitor? Maybe, Dave would talk for 2 1\2 hours to you and read with everyone. Would 2 1\2 hours be a record? He probably would to get us to read John seriously. How many speaking parts are there?

He continued:

I don't know, I just really think it would make the man's day. He did Cerebus all those years and we all liked it mostly. So, I just thought if you asked the man, Do you want to read from John for however long you want to today? No matter if I or anyone else doesn't want to read it, it just seems Matt, Dave would like once to just humor himself, and especially during this virus because he really seemed to think the answer to everything was in John or something. Any thoughts there anyone what he meant?

Does it address why the virus is happening or did he mean God is punishing us or what? I think he just meant reading it was to him a good idea, like he said he read it at City Hall or whatever. Anyway, if Dave goes for it and he'd actually want to read all of John with or without you or whatever, and that would exceed your phone bill, I'd pay for the over normal time or whatever. Just thought it would be neat now that I've thought it all through. Oh, well, I hope we all find what were looking for.
And this is what Dave and I talked about for the rest of the video.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Well, I hope that my phone conversations with Dave are, at the least, the equivalent of what Orbit is to chewing gum.