Thursday 24 September 2020

Odd Transformations 4. . .part 4

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

This past February in The Thing on Cerebus’ Head we saw a page from Dave’s eleventh notebook. The notebook book supposedly covered Cerebus #96 though 102, and had 114 pages scanned. I noticed we haven’t seen page one of this notebook on AMoC, so I took a look at it.

Notebook #11, page 1

So there is a thumbnail for the cover to Cerebus #96, but the text that goes along with it? That is for issue #95, page 12 and 13. Which we looked at the rough page layouts from Notebook #10, page 109, in Odd Transformations. . .4 way back in May 2016. There were only 115 pages scanned in notebook #10, so page 109 is pretty closed to the end of that notebook. I can see how the dialogue would flow over to this notebook. 

Page two continues the dialogue, most of which makes the finished page, but there is some unused dialogue as well.

Notebook #11, page 2


1 comment:

Jeff said...

Received my Waverly Press package yesterday. Man, what I wouldn't give to see Dave's UNredacted notes from 6-18-2020, that names names (in "The Secret History of the Counerfeit Cerebus #1")!!!

Great work on everything!!!