Tuesday 29 September 2020

Dave's Calling who's got questions?

Hi, Everybody!

Dave's calling me on Thursday (I thought the first Thursday of October was NEXT week.)
If Roy Lichtenstein can rip off comic art, then David Birdsong can rip off Lichtenstein...

So anybody got any questions?

Maybe your Fundraising Edition of The Strange Death of Alex Raymond raised New and Interesting questions...

Maybe your Remastered Cerebus #1 raised New and Interesting questions (like what kind of socks Dave was wearing while he drew it in 1977...)

Maybe you've been traumatized by Batvark: PENIS and demand satisfaction. (Also, you're a 19th century Southern Gentleman?)

Anything?

Just comment here, or email momentofcerebus@gmail.com

ITEM: Update from Carson and Sean on the Kickstarter for Dave and Carson Grubaugh's You Don't Know Jack, (which has an Indiegogo, still):
Hello friends of Jack! I come to you today with a grave message.

Ten percent of you have still not filled out your surveys! 

Without the data on your survey (i.e. your address!) we will have no way to get you your pledge rewards. Carson will box them up, write your backer name on them, and then they will sit under his desk, sadly, forlorn, collecting dust until the day you fill it out or otherwise contact us with your address.

Please. Pretty pretty please. Fill out your survey as soon as humanly possible, so we can get you your rad stuff!

Okay. Running out of options. Only one. LAST. CHANCE.

THE POWER OF AUNT SADIE COMPELLS YOU!
A, ahem, lighter message will follow tomorrow :)

Thank you all again for your support! We can't tell you how much we appreciate it!

[Emphasis mine -Matt] 

ITEM: Batvark: PENIS is in stores (The "Censored For Grandma Variant" Batvark: XXXXX, might be in stores... I haven't heard anything either way. The VIRGIN Batvark: PENIS variant is available if you know a guy who knows a guy. (I'm a guy...))


ITEM: Cerebus masks and whatnots, I added the Cerebus in Hell? Logo, the THIRD Amicable Spider-Vark design (this one has the logo and Spider-Vark on the same side), and the Approval Is An Authoritarian Construct logo. Unless someone demands them, I'm leaving Joe Cerebus and Donald J. Cerebus out...

ITEM: Signed copies of Vark Wars: Walt's Empire Strikes Back (Signed by Dave, Signed by Dave and me, Signed by me after I scribble out Dave's name, Pretty much available Signed only...) (I only mention it because I still have them...)

ITEM: The Wilf Jenkins Collection available from Looking For Heroes, for $10 (CAD) plus $4 dollars shipping to Canada and $5 dollars shipping to the USA. All the money goes to the Food Bank of the Waterloo Region. I haven't heard if these have been processed and are available for purchase, but I haven't heard that they're not either...

ITEM: Limited overstock of SOME of the items from the Remastered Cerebus #1 Kickstarter campaign are available from cerebusoverload.com 

Next Time: Penis and Hobbs...

5 comments:

Dave Kopperman said...

I got one for Dave: what was the meaning behind his use of the (modified?) ‘Song of Amergin’ as the epigraph for Mothers & Daughters?

Jeff said...

Questions for Dave: Why so many versions of "High Society", other than the obvious answer/s. I mean, I have (I think) three versions, including the first printing copy with (as you noted when you signed it for me) "a rare intact cover". And, I will definitely buy a Regency Edition.

But, I mean, we're up to around six or seven versions now, if you count the Red, Blue, and neutral election versions. And that count doesn't include the hardcover, foreign-language editions.

Not to be a thorn in your side which, (obviously) I have been at times over the years, but when do you move on to more remasters?

Jeff said...

Obvious answer/s? I think that Pink Floyd put it best. It truly is a gas.

Birdsong said...

Jeff, my suggestion is that High Society is the biggest selling volume and is in need of reprinting more often and is the obvious choice for the first deluxe hardcover treatment. I hope it won't be the last.

Question for Dave:

I have a very good working relationship with some fine men I would have never known of if I hadn't first read Cerebus and then written you that first letter in the 1980s. With today's technology it is now possible for Cerebus fans to have an almost instantaneous connection and you are the reason why. Did you ever think about that any time since 1977? If so, would you be willing to share your thoughts? You're no Keith Richards, but you do have fans, followers, haters and not a few groupies over the years.

TMI bit: In that first letter I mentioned that I hoped to pass on my Cerebus trades to my son some day. As it turns out he is not
likely to read it, but he is a big fan of Cerebus In Hell? as is my daughter (well, Baby Yoda Cerebus at least). Who would have thought?

Jeff said...

More often, yes, David B., but four or five volumes in the past year? Don't get me wrong: If I miss out on The Regency Edition, I will probably drop dead and then Dave will come over and get back his original art pages, I guess.

But. I find it hard to believe that all of the proffered "High Society" volumes were offered when whichever reprint was sold out.

I mean, the whole Red vs. Blue reprints thing was, IMHO, ridiculous.

The "Regency Edition" is seriously good. I can only hope that I am on top of that and get one.

But, I have probably burned myself b/c of this post. Nevertheless, I speak truth to the power that is Waverly Press.