Thursday 21 March 2019

Hold On There Y'Long-Eared Galoot

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

It was only last week when we looked at Sim's first Cerebus notebook, which covers Cerebus #20 to 28, in Punchline for President. When I was going through it, I saw some early sketches of the McGrew Brothers.

On page 161 there are some sketches and some dialogue from Cerebus #27, the McGrew Brother's first appearance.

Notebook #1, page 161
Looking at the above page a sketch done in dark black ink is seen coming through the page.

Notebook #1, page 162
A less cartoony sketch of a McGrew brother. Plus some plot points from Cerebus #27.

3 comments:

Slumbering Agartha said...

..."with muh BLADE!"

Tony Dunlop said...

Is it just me, or do these versions look more like Yosemite Sam than the finished versions?

Jeff said...

Yeah, Tony, especially the second page. I think maybe Dave decided that he needed something close but, still, separate. Hence, the boys, as we know and love them.

"Fonfliff!"