Wednesday 15 May 2019

Strangers In Cerebus Cover Rough


Benjamin Hobbs:

There's only 10 days left to back the POSTCARD FROM HELL No.2! Click over to the Kickstarter page to enjoy comments from Dave and the rest of the CIH? team!

Thanks to everyone who has backed the campaign so far!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1349357665/cerebus-postcard-from-hell-no-2


I sent Dave this rough for the cover of STRANGERS IN CEREBUS:



He sent these suggestions back:


I like the added word balloons, but prefer the cadence of the subtitle "Your Rent Is Due" over "Totally Insufferable Condo Hipsters In Cerebus".

Next Week: There will be only THREE DAYS LEFT TO BACK THE KICKSTARTER!

5 comments:

Tony Dunlop said...

Those word balloons aren't funny. Everyone has heard these "snooty airhead model" stereotype jokes ad infinitum. I think the original cover was much better - but then I've yet to buy a CIH? comic, so what do I know?

Michael Grabowski said...

I prefer the simple approach of the first cover. If it's going to let white space dominate, don't invade it with word balloons. Save the gags for inside.

Anonymous said...

Once again, Dave goes for the easy, nasty cheap shots as he has been doing for many, many years now. So much easier than coming up with actual jokes, I suppose.

JLH said...

Ignoring the coward above's gossamer-thin skin, I do concur with Michael and even Tony. Less is more. Word balloons on parody covers only tend to work when they're in service of the parodying. See: Green Virgil/ Green Dante. Watchvark worked just fine without a bunch of balloons. I think Strangers in Cerebus (which I seem to recall was one of the ideas Dave nixed way back when "Love & Aardvarks" bombed as being "too niche, let's only do famous parodies") needs to be minimalist.

Jeff said...

I (harumph) concur.