Thursday 27 June 2019

Sproing

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

The last time we saw Dave Sim's seventh Cerebus notebook we saw Dave's notes for the Epic story, A Friendly Reminder, back in December of 2017. I was going back through the pages, and can't believe I didn't see this one yet.

Cerebus britches are too tight.

Notebook 7, page 13
Looking at more pages in this notebook, there are other mentions of Mrs Tynsdale-Clyde, but not of the meeting between her and Cerebus. Just her name. 

Gesundhoyt.

7 comments:

Jeff said...

Third trivia question to win a signed and numbered cope of the Remastered Edition of Jaka's Story: What does Oscar mean when he says "Such is the life of an artiste"?

Brian O'Malley said...

Half divine inspiration. Half mundane charade. 6544 W. 64th St.
Chicago IL

Jeff said...

Well, aren't you the clever one, Brian? Too clever by half, though. Zip code. And, you only chime in here when there's sumpthing free to get? ;)

Brian O'Malley said...

60638- and thank you for the book!

Jeff said...

You are more than welcome, Brian! Just sharin' the blessings from Dave.

So that's it. To be mailed to Mitch, Brian, and Lee (the latter, IIRC, in the UK--*that's* gonna cost me!) early next week.

Since, as I say, Dave knew that I would do this (before I knew it!), a quick phone message to Dave from the beneficiaries would not be...um...uncalled for. Just sayin'.

Oh, and, BTW, looking up semi-obscure quotes from the book made for a fun hour or two every night over the past week. For example, I toyed with, but abandoned a quote from page 228, as well as from pages 245, 246, and 251 (all from Jaka's sweet old Aunt Victoria or the obsequious Oscar--"Oh!"
"Ooohh Yhesss!"--in the latter's case.) Too easy.

Oh, and, I already found a mistake that I may have overlooked when I proofed JS: page 422, line 15, "demure" should be "demur".

D'oh!

Glad you guys had fun.

Lee Thacker said...

Thanks, Jeff. I've sent you an email regarding shipping. I'm more than happy to cover the cost, just let me know.

Tony Dunlop said...

He could've just left the panels as-is and called it a "Jules Feiffer riff."