Wednesday 11 August 2021

Swords of CIH? Volume 9... Decisions, decisions!

 
Benjamin Hobbs:

Volume 9 of Swords of Cerebus In Hell? is the first volume that's been REALLY difficult to decide who to put on the cover.  The Options were Silver Cerebus, Vark Thing, or the Varking Dead.

 I ruled out Silver Cerebus because the other two options are more dynamic. 

The Varking Dead fits really well on both the Hardcover  and the dust jacket:


However, since the covers are printed on a digital printer, I'd have to remove the tone from the Varking Dead figure and that would be... time consuming.

I started to de-tone the image. There's more tiny little lines on this drawing than any other Cerebus image I've de-toned.  I was using a 3 pixel brush to get into those hard to reach areas.  As a point of reference, I generally use a 15 pixel brush.

Vark Thing looks good on the cover, but the image cuts off at the shoulders and sort of just ends abruptly at the spine of the book.  (He could be a little wider the dust jacket.)


Let me know which you'd prefer in the comments: Vark Thing or Varking Dead! 

Next Week: More Dust Jacket fun!

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Vark-Thing.

Birdsong said...

I like the Vark Thing but it’s a somewhat distant from the previous covers so I would go with the zombie. I’m currently de-toning the Cerebus figure for the new Cerebus No 2 (coming soon) so I feel ya bro. And, yes, that is an easier figure but that task is one that makes you want call Dave and beg him to pull the old tone off.

Larry Wooten said...

Zombie.

Benjamin H said...

Hmm... two votes for Varking Dead and one for Vark Thing.

Looks like I'll be de-toning with a 3 pixel brush soon.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

-Benjamin